Before/After Pics on PS Websites...

ColoradoHusker
on 4/21/09 1:15 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I've just begun looking at plastic surgery.  I have lost 215 lbs. and you all can imagine what my body is looking like...eek!

I've been going to the websites of various PS.  A lot of them say they are experienced in post WLS plastics, but when I look at their before/after pics, I'm not seeing a lot of people that look like me.  Oh sure they have great pics of people who have lost around 100 lbs, one had pics of someone who lost 140 lbs.  However, the patient's body before is nowhere like mine as far as over hanging panni (mine has a drop of at least 7 inches) 

Would this make a difference to you?  Just as when investigating WLS as a SMO vs. "lightweight" - I wanted a surgeon who had delt with patients at 400+ lbs.  But I don't know if when dealing with plastics is there a big difference in surgery when someone has lost 100 lbs vs. 200+ lbs. (Gosh, I hope I'm making a bit of sense here.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jana
Danielle H.
on 4/21/09 2:07 am - Atlanta, GA
Jana - I think you definitely need someone who is experienced in SMO wls patients.  There are many complications that can arise from removing a panni like that and just the sheer volume its removing from your body.  Definitely do research and go see what patients pics are like in their office - they can probably show you more they have on hand rather than just on their internet site - where they likely are showing the more 'normal' cases.

I know my PS did remove a panni that he said was about 30 lbs alone, and I believe its worth finding the best surgeon to get something of that magnitude taken off.

Just my 2cents though!  Maybe others will chime in!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/09 2:20 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
I definitely looked for someone who worked on patients who had lost a lot of weight and also worked on people close to my age.  There is a big difference in the skin and sagging of a person in their late 20's early 30's and someone like me who has already turned the corner on 50.  So yes, I looked for pictures who looked like me.  Keep in mind they can't post every picture out there, they have a lot more pictures in the books they have on display in their office.

I asked each surgeon I met with if I would be the largest patient they worked on and I asked how many LBL surgeries they did, and how many were on people similar to myself. 

It's important to ask questions.........LOTS of questions........until you find someone you are comfortable with.  Listen to your gut.  I didn't do that with one of my procedures and I am regretting it now.  I am sure listening to my gut for my next one(s)!!!!

Good luck with your search and decision.
Ruth
gypsywoman6789
on 4/21/09 3:35 am - Hudson, NH
I think you are absolutely right.  You should be looking for someone who has experience with wls patients that have lost massive amounts of weight.  I lost 100 lbs from my wls and I wouldn't have just gone to any plastic surgeon, I wanted one who specifically dealt with wls patients and you should want the same, a surgeon who not only has dealt with wls patients but a wls patient who has lost large amounts of weight.
sablouwho
on 4/21/09 6:58 am - La La Land, CA
I absolutely looked at the before/after photos to find patients with "before" bodies like mine. I think that you are wise to look for a PS who has experience with someone who was SMO.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

w8'n no more
on 4/21/09 9:39 am - middle of, IL
You definitely need a PS who has done a lot of work on bariatric surgeons.  I was blessed to have a PS locally who told me he was not comfortable doing the all the lower body work I needed.  I ended up in Cali with Dr. Agha who does a LOT of bariatric work.  Be careful Jana, you only want to have to do this one time.  It hurts and it cost a lot of money.  Be sure you get what you want.

http://plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/gallery/po st-bariatric/high-definition-lower-body/high-definition-lowe r-body-lift-patient-3/

Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
ColoradoHusker
on 4/22/09 1:55 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you for the responses.  You're right...I only want to do this once and I certainly can only afford (well, maybe) to do this once.  I'm going to keep looking and I'll keep you posted.

Jana
Most Active