Plastic Surgery - PreOp Size

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/09 11:23 pm - Sweet Dreams lives in , PA
I guess this one is more for the ladies who have had plastic surgery. I know that I am going to need a TT, Breast Lift, Underarms and maybe between the legs.  I am thinking that I would like to get to 190 pounds before I start even looking into these procedures or getting insurance approval.  The question I have is was your weight predetermined factor before your approval for your procedures? I really don't want to get down to the "healthy" weight range. I think  I would be too small then. Personally, I would like to have a little thickness left when I am all done.  I figure if I get to 190 and then have another 10 pounds of skins taken off...I should be good at about 175-180.  Any suggestions or hindsights you would be helpful. Thanks.

One last question...I am curious...how much weight did you lose as a result of your plastics?
1summer
on 4/20/09 12:56 am
I had a lower body lift 13 days ago, and here is my story so far:

I was approx 25 lbs from my goal weight at the time of surgery. My goal weight is about 5-10 lbs from the high end of my "ideal" goal weight. I have lifted weights for years, fairly heavy weights for the last 18 months, and so am pretty muscular. My surgeon thought my weight was just about ideal for the time of the surgery, as my body was pretty well proportioned outside of the extra skin I needed removed. So, long story short, my higher BMI and the fact that I was technically "overweight" didn't matter to my surgeon.

That said, my surgeon removed 8 lbs of skin during surgery, and I have lost another 5 or 6 lbs since then. The scale goes down every day as my swelling abates. I have been very concious not to "diet", but to make sure my body is getting all of the calories and nutrition that it needs to heal properly, so am making no effort to cut back to lose weight. That can happen later, if need be, when my body is healed. Right now I am just eating the most nutritious high protien food that I can!

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with everything! I can't tell you how exciting it is to see your body change and shrink and look younger every day!!

Katrina
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/09 3:25 am - Sweet Dreams lives in , PA
Hi Katrina,

Thank you so much for your very helpful insight.  I really appreciate it.
gypsywoman6789
on 4/20/09 1:36 am - Hudson, NH
I'm 5'3", my goal weight according to the "charts" is 128 - I never aimed for 128 that is too small for me.  I would have been happy to get down to 140-145ish.  At my lowest I got down to 147 which was fine since they tell you that you will likely lose 75-80% of your excess weight.  I didn't last at 147 for long, bumped up to 152, then 156, 162, 166 - WTH I was like ugh!  So wasn't sure if I should go for my plastics at this time.  I kept bouncing between 162-166 and I really did not want to be over 150 again.

Anyhow, went to see the PS and one of my PS's requirements is that my BMI be below 30 which mine was even at 166 so I was good to go for the surgery.  But he also told me that if I planned on losing alot more weight after then I should wait b/c then I would end up with more loose skin from the weight loss.  I wasn't overly concerned with losing "alot" more weight so I went ahead with the surgery.

I'm just 14 days post op.  They took 7.5lbs off my stomach which was a really good amount.  They originally told me that it would prob. only be 4-5lbs  so I was thrilled with anything more than that.  I knew that for me it was going to be more about my shape after the surgery vs. the amount of weight taken at surgery.

Since I'm only 14 days post op, I can't say yet how much weight I've truly "lost" because of all the swelling but I know I look a whole lot better than I did before, scars and all!
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/09 3:26 am - Sweet Dreams lives in , PA
Thanks Gypsy woman....this is good info...Best with your recovery.
BigCityGirl
on 4/20/09 2:13 am - San Diego, CA
I got down to a BMI of 25 before I had my LBL.  Personally, I don't think "thickness" is useful when having these procedures.  The thinner the better.  I went on six consults before selecting a surgeon and they all said the same thing - get down as low as possible before plastics.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/09 3:31 am - Sweet Dreams lives in , PA
Thank BCG, I appreciate your input. I just figure...I am 5'8 and very muscular with a larger frame.  I honestly don't think that I am going to be one of those folks thats going to fit neatly in the referenced healthy weight range.  I will more than likely go by my body fat than BMI. I just was not sure if most insurance used the BMI as a determining factor.  I am thinking about a consult and that will help me further assess. Appreciate your post.
Kelly V.
on 4/20/09 4:08 am - Galion, OH
I got down to 180 and just couldn't lose anymore.  Like you I am 5'8" and I did alot of weight training, cardio and went on a high protein diet for about 10 months before surgery.  They took off 18lbs of skin which is alot.  They also took about 2 litres of fat through liposuction off my thighes.  I had these bulges on the front of my thigh that I couldn't lose for anything.  Well they are gone now!  I can't wait until the swelling is done.  My surgeon said I was fine.  I freaked cause I weighed 197 after the surgery and I thought if they took off 18 pounds how did I gain 17?  Well it has gone down but still only back down to 180 but I am still very swollen.  My feet won't fit into shoes still so we will see what I weigh when it is all over. 

I did kinda go into a depression funk.  It is hard to be stuck in a chair when you are so use to being so active.  I just wanted to run on my treadmill.  I am sure I put on a few pounds because I was eating everything I shouldn't be.  Just be prepared for the little depression that may come with any surgery you may have.
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/09 4:25 am - Sweet Dreams lives in , PA
Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for your input...I really really appreciate it...esp about what to look for as an aftermath.  Sending prayer you way for a speedy recovery.    
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/09 8:31 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi! 
I just recently started with my plastic surgery.  Every Dr I've seen or spoke to has said I should be at or within 15 lbs of my goal before doing anything.  I'm very close to goal so I had my arms done recently.

I am waiting a little while to lose a few more lbs before scheduling my LBL and Inner Thighs.
I'm almost 5'7" a largish frame and would like to get to 150-155 (I'm so close I can taste it!).  I'm not just focused on the number on the scale....I'll have the surgery when I believe I've lost as much fat as I can...then the surgeon can remove all the hanging skin and lipo out the remaining stuff.  Even I have surgery at 160 I believe the surgeon will take enough off me to get me to my goal (I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!)

Not sure if that helps or not but I do wish you luck in your decision (it's a tough decision to make!).

Ruth
Most Active