Dark Discharge from JP Drain Day 13

1summer
on 4/19/09 11:39 pm
I had a LBL on 4/7, and everything is going great, except for one thing: my left JP drain is still putting out about 35-40cc's a day of very dark, almost purple/brown fluid. My right drain puts out very little straw colored fluid. Other than that, healing is going better than I could have expected. I see my surgeon later today (I am out of town, so all visits since 4/10 have been by phone), but has anyone had this happen to them? I'm just worried that the dark fluid might mean something's not healing well, despite everything else. Thanks for your input!

Katrina
Danielle H.
on 4/20/09 12:38 am - Atlanta, GA
Katrina, definitely call your dr and if you're going to see him then even better! I had dark even blood like discharge at nearly 2 weeks, so I don't think its an issue - its just getting out what your body needs to get out...but definitley email a picture of it to him if you can't get in to see him.

Always better to have them check it out than wait and wonder and stress over it.  You choose them because you trust them, so let them help!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

1summer
on 4/20/09 1:04 am
Thanks, Danielle! I will see my surgeon late this afternoon. I am definitely looking forward to talking with him about it. What made me nervous, I guess, is that I asked if we could schedule my appt tomorrow afternoon instead of today, and he said he reallly wanted to see me today. The little paranoid person in me immediately assumed something might be wrong! But everything's gone so well so far that I ralize I'm being silly. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences - positive or negative - with such dark drainage at two weeks! I will shove my little paranoid person back into her closet until I get to my Dr's office this afternoon!
MSHAMO
on 4/20/09 2:09 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI

Hi Katrina, my discharge for 4 weeks looked like blood and my PS wasn't concerned. Glad to hear that you are seeing him today, although I'm sure everything is fine. Good Luck!!

High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Lorraine22
on 4/20/09 3:18 am
I had my surgery the same day as you. I had the same color in my drain and my ps said it was fine it is probably just old blood. Im so happy he took the second drain out today. Its so freeing! Im feeling great and cant wait to go back to work next week because Im starting to go stir crazy! Im very surprised at my recovery so far..I really thought it was going to be much worse. Hopefully things stay that way..We never know, right? I wish you much luck with your doctor visit. Im sure everything is just fine   Lorraine
1summer
on 4/20/09 3:28 am
Thank you all for your replies - you are all so supportive and I appreciate it so much! I am leaving now - got a 4 hour drive to the surgeon's, but am feeling much more at ease about the drain thing. Thanks again everyone - if I could hug you all I would!

Lorraine - I feel your pain. I am SO ready to do something other than "take it easy". I'm hoping to get the drains pulled today so I can move forward with my recovery. Hope things continue to go well with you!

Katrina
Most Active