Bowel Prep before Surgery Question???

MelissaF
on 4/19/09 5:44 am, edited 4/19/09 5:45 am - Northwood, IA
Hi All!  Can I just say again how much I love this board and thank you for all the insight! You guys are truly my rockstars on here!!!

I have a question for all of you.. for those of you who had any plastics done of any kind, did they make you bowel prep before or follow any certain diet that would cleanse the bowels, clear liquids etc???

My preop instructions say "nothing after midnight" and no caffiene a week after surgery.  Otherwise its your typical no aspirin, vitamin E or NSAIDS etc.. two weeks prior.. thats it!

Does this sound right? My surgeon expects my surgery to last a full six hours and *could* go over.. that is a long time for the bowel to be shut down.  (I am an RN by the way).  I did have a short bought of dry heaves after my RNY when I got up to walk for the first time and I bowel prepped for two days before that b/c my RNY doc requested I do so.  

Did any of you do your own bowel cleanse or follow a clear liquid diet for a day before sugery just because even if your surgeon did not say you had to?  I am just not sure I am comfortable with eating regular food the day before knowing that will be sitting in there that long and will not have left my bowels prior to surgery.. call me a worry wart ;-)  I also do not wanna be sick with those incisions and tummy muscles being tightened.. ouch! I am having an LBL on the 28th.

Your advice and any suggestions are much welcomed on thins!!

Thanks gang!!! Thank you so much for all you sharing ont his board, it means *so* much!!!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

MSHAMO
on 4/19/09 6:18 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI

Hi Melissa, No bowel prep for me!! I had the same pre-op as you. Good luck, you will love your plastics!!

High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
MelissaF
on 4/20/09 7:16 am - Northwood, IA
Sounds like concesus is no prep.. love that! Thanks!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

AbidinginHIM
on 4/19/09 6:30 am - Ontario, CA
There is usually no bowel prep cause they aren't opening your abdominal cavity and messing with your bowels. They are working in the layers between your skin and muscles, and tightening those muscles.  Bowel prep is usually only required for surgeries where they are moving your  bowels around, or need them flat and out of the way, etc..  If you would feel better, you can always put your self on liquids only the day before and drink mag sulfate from the drug store.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
MelissaF
on 4/20/09 7:17 am - Northwood, IA
Good to know, thank you!  I was more worried about my bowel being shut down the subsequent nuasea from food being in there and the "wretching" and pressure on the incisions and muscles that are tightened.  I am glad ot hear that most did not have to do this.. I will go have dinner with my family the night before when they arrive for my surgery and not worry about it :)  Thanks again!
Hugs, Melissa 

Loris
on 4/19/09 6:49 am - Midlothian, VA
Don't second guess your surgeon.  You know your system, so if clear liquids make you feel comfortable go ahead, but don't do a bowel cleanse.  They are very dehydrating.  But or should I say butt, ha ha, I would start on stool softeners the day before surgery and with each pain pill.  Also be sure and tell the anes. about your nausea problem.  They will make sure it doesn't happen this time.  Good luck, Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

MelissaF
on 4/20/09 7:18 am - Northwood, IA
Very true Loris thanks so much for your response!
Hugs, Melissa 

gypsywoman6789
on 4/19/09 6:51 am - Hudson, NH
Your dry heaves after your RNY might have been a side effect of the anesthesia or even the pain meds.  You should mention this to your anesthesiologist.

I actually was heaving after my RNY too and that did not feel good!  But that was because they had me on the morphine pump DESPITE the fact that I told them and my chart is labeled as being allergic to pain meds.  I can take stuff like Demerol and Tramadol but none of the good stuff like codeine, morphine, vicodin, percocet - make me violently ill.

Other than that, the instructions you got sound pretty typical to me.  I just had tt no muscle done 12 days ago.  I was instructed no food after midnight but I could drink clear liquids up until 7:30am (I was scheduled to arrive at the hosp at 8:00am and of course it takes some time to register and actually get into surgery).

So I wouldn't worry too much.  I would follow their instructions and I think you'll be fine.  I don't think  Iwould put myself on any kind of restricted diet just before surgery since you want your body to be in the right condition before undergoing something so major.
MelissaF
on 4/20/09 7:19 am - Northwood, IA
Very true.. I am going to ask for some prophalactic IV zofran or something to hopefully detour that.  I work there so I know everyone for the most part and I know they will listen to my concerns which is nice :) Thanks again and you look incredible!!!! Love the photos please keep em coming!! You all are such true inspirations to me!
Hugs, Melissa 

amber1978
on 4/19/09 7:00 am
VSG on 11/29/07 with
I seem to be the odd one here.  My surgeon requires a clear liquid diet for 48 hrs. prior to surgery and no liquids after midnight. The day before he requires an oral fleet's bowel preparation followed by 24 oz. of Cranapple juice.  My surgery date is May 11th.  I can't wait!!
It's never too late to be who you might have been.  George Elliot

1st goal 135!

Most Active