insurance and plastic surgery

rennyguerra
on 4/15/09 4:30 am - North Massapequa, NY
Im probably about 30 lbs from looking into plastics. I was wonder if anyone has gotten some of it covered by insurance? Due to rashes or etc? Does that even happen or are we completely on our own?

bamagirlee
on 4/15/09 11:19 am - Phenix City, AL
Each insurance is different, but many do pay for what THEY deem to be 'medically necessary' procedure. I'm just starting the process myself but was able to get the clearly written policy on plastic surgery. It even had specific requirements of minimum weight loss. Some of my requirements for panni removal are medical treatment for skin conditions for at least 3 months, 1 year out of surgery and things like that. I would recommend contacting your insurance company to see if they have such a policy. They will first tell you 'if it is medically necessary' blah blah blah...but then you need to ask for the Medical Policy Guidelines for the type of surgery you are looking into. You may even be able to access it online.
Best of luck!
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

1coolmommy
on 4/15/09 12:18 pm - Temple City, CA
Renny,

I work for a PS and am a nurse and I met with him on Tusday for a panniculectomy job. I left the office by 10 and the girls had my approval for a panniculectomy and hernia repair 1 hr later. I have BC/BS! I was shocked.

Some require documentaion about problems related to it, but mine didn;t even want the dumb pictures I stripped down for and humiliated myself for!

Kathy V

Hopefully to goal weight by Christmastime 2007!!!
sablouwho
on 4/16/09 6:11 am - La La Land, CA
Hi Kathy,

I have Blue Cross of California (they're calling themselves Anthem Blue Cross these days). I'm wondering if you have the same BC as I do? (I was under the impression that in CA, BC and BS are separate, which is why I'm asking...)

Thanks,

Cindy
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

happy girl
on 4/16/09 5:26 am
It depends on the insurance carrier and the policy your employer has with them.  My thighs and stomach is being covered by my insurance company.

good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Most Active