Prescription Questions

megameggs
on 4/15/09 7:08 am - FL
I'm all set for my brachioplasty, mastopexy, and breast augmentation May 4th. I'm getting excited!!

I met with the nurse a couple of days ago and she went over a list of medications with me. I wanted to check with you all on one of them.

1. The first one is Bactrim--it's an antibiotic, and I haven't seen it contraindicated for RNY patients, so that's one seems to be no problem.

2. Lortab--I've asked her to order it in liquid form, and she's going to call that in to my pharmacy. No problems there.

3. Mobic--this is an anti-inflammatory to take the morning of surgery and the following morning. I've seen online that RNY patients are supposed to avoid anti-inflammatory drugs because they can irritate the stomach lining and cause ulcers. I assume that a couple days of Mobic won't do any harm... did you guys take anti-inflammatories?

4. Vistaril for nausea--I don't see this contraindicated anywhere, so no worries with this one.

So my question is really about the Mobic--what was your experience with anti-inflammatories?

Thanks!

Vist my weblog at www.megameggs.wordpress.com

happy girl
on 4/15/09 1:49 pm
If it's just those 2 doses, personally I don't see the harm in taking it short term.  If it were me, I'd say no as I have a history of ulcers post RNY but you'd have to look at your own health history as to whether it's worth it.    Can you call your WLS office and see what they think?

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

megameggs
on 4/15/09 8:50 pm - FL
Yep, I will do that!

cbhjr98
on 4/15/09 6:51 pm
Meg,

About the anti-inflammatory - Ask her to prescribe an RX for prescription strength pepcid or generic to go with it. Your WLS will prob tell you the same. If you take a NSAID (ibprofen or the sort) you need to always take it with an anti-acid to help prevent ulcers. If you take the antiacid with it, it doesn't cause that much problems for you taking them for a short term time. My doc had absolutely no problem giving me antiacids to go with my NSAIDs and actually said that they would help with all the drugs, including the pain killers. If she won't go get some OTC pepcid to take with it.

Just my two-cents.

PS: consider getting some benadryl - lol! I itch like crazy afterwards and benadryl helps me sleep without scratching my skin off around the incisions :-)

Hope this helps,
Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
megameggs
on 4/15/09 8:50 pm - FL
Well now that makes perfect sense. I'll ask the nurse to prescribe that or buy some pepcid!

megameggs
on 4/15/09 8:53 pm - FL
Oooh, good to know. I will check into it. Thanks!

malynn
on 4/16/09 8:58 am
Hi!
My tummy tuck is Monday and I got the following meds:
Lortab
Keflex (antibiotic)
Toradol (anti inflammatory)
Xanax- to take only night before and morning after so you can sleep and not be too anxious

Ive never had any issues with any of the meds upsetting my stomach.  But it never hurts to ask your doc.
totalfreedom
on 4/15/09 3:16 pm - Northern CA
Hi,

I would question the Dr about Bactrim.  I thought one of the side effects of it is swelling.  Which doesn't seem to me to be a good idea since plastics creates so much swelling. My Dr. prescribed an anit-biotic called Keflex. 

I agree to check with your WL Surgeon's staff regarding the anti-inflammatory.  I was early out from RNY and got bursitis and begged for an anti-inflammatory.  I was allowed 2 days of liquid ibuprofen, but was ordered to take prilosec for two weeks.   Again, though, I was early out so my pouch was still quite small.

Good luck with your plastics journey.  Happy Healing!

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Most Active