panniculectomy

ericas623
on 4/14/09 4:17 pm - Roseville, MI
Ok,

I have been researching this.  Does a panniculectomy just remove the lower skin under your belly button?  Or, do they remove the skin around your belly button and the upper stomach?

I have read that it only does the lower skin under the belly button.  Then I have read that  the only difference between a panniculectomy and a tummy tuck is with the tummy tuck, they tighten the muscles. 

If I my insurance covers just the lower part, then I will have to pay the difference, because I do not want the muffin top.  I have excess skin their too.

Erica
Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/14/09 4:45 pm, edited 4/14/09 4:46 pm - Newport Beach, CA
They are completely different.  A panniculectomy removes the excess pannius.  It normally takes about 1 hour.  The scar is not well placed and there is no muscle tightening.  Some PSs excise the navel and use staples for closure.  I personally hate doing them since they do not look good.  It is a functional procedure not a cosmetic one. 

To learn more about different tummy tuck and post-bariatric Plastic surgery procedures, you can download a complimentary copy of my Patient Guide at www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/b/

Siamak Agha MD PhD
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgery
Specializing in Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
www.plasticsurgerycal.com

Wendy_Canada
on 4/14/09 8:46 pm - Canada
Hi Erica

I think i am probably in the same boat you are.  I am having a TT (without muscle tightening because he said they were tight enough from workingout at the gym) June 29th.  This is hip to hip to take the skin off the bottom part below the belly button. I have the muffin top and just couldn't see me being happy leaving that there so then they will make an incission from my pubic area up to just under my breasts and pull that skin in and take it off giving me a tighter mid -drift.  Then I am having a breast lift at the same time.  I know my doctor quoted me at $3,000 more to do the muffin top part over the lower TT.

Good Luck

Wendy

DEBI R.
on 4/14/09 9:32 pm - CORSICANA, TX
A panniculectomy will only remove skin below the belly button, if you have a muffin top I'd recommend a TT.

I had a LBL with anchor cut and Brachioplasty a week ago today and I had a very large muffin top. My surgeon recommended an anchor cut to get rid of the muffin top and other than swelling my stomach is flat. He removed 15 lbs of skin between the LBL and my arms both.

You could go in for several free consultations with a couple different plastic surgeons and see what they suggest. Good luck. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

MelissaF
on 4/15/09 3:44 am - Northwood, IA
Hijack!

How are you feeling Debi??? I have been wondering about you!!!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

DEBI R.
on 4/15/09 11:16 am - CORSICANA, TX
Hi Melissa,

I'm doing great, thanks for asking. I haven't had any problems, very little pain but I'm starting to swelll quiet a bit now that I'm moving around alot. I only took pain pills for 2 nights after surgery and that was to help me sleep. This surgery has been  really easy so far. My butt is flat now from the LBL but I look alot better. The anchor cut sure made a big difference with the muffin top.
Good luck with your LBL, keep me posted. Debi

minuature pinscher 

MelissaF
on 4/15/09 11:08 pm - Northwood, IA
So glad to hear you are doing so well!! Congrats on that! I hope I can say the same after mine, that would be *awesome*.  Do you not like the results of your fanny? I have heard others say this... I am a bit concerned b/c I don't have a lot in that department as it is.  He did say he was going to be careful not to lift overly much b/c of that.  Thanks for the update and again congrats on a smooth recovery thus far!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

MelissaF
on 4/15/09 11:26 pm - Northwood, IA
So glad to hear you are doing so well!! Congrats on that! I hope I can say the same after mine, that would be *awesome*.  Do you not like the results of your fanny? I have heard others say this... I am a bit concerned b/c I don't have a lot in that department as it is.  He did say he was going to be careful not to lift overly much b/c of that.  Thanks for the update and again congrats on a smooth recovery thus far!
Hugs, Melissa 

DEBI R.
on 4/16/09 1:23 am - CORSICANA, TX
My butt is pretty flat, I should've had some fat injected into it or asked the surgeon what he could have done to make it rounder. You might want to ask your surgeon what he thinks. I'm still amazed that I've had such an easy time and hardly any pain, I keep thinking the numbness will disappear and I'll be in alot of pain then. LOL

minuature pinscher 

MelissaF
on 4/16/09 4:29 am - Northwood, IA
So excited for you Debi!!!  congrats esp on not much pain! 

Do you have any before and afters?
Hugs, Melissa 

Most Active