What constitutes a revision?

mpafford
on 4/14/09 2:08 am - TX
Ok, I had arm/thigh lift Jan 09. I am very happy with the new shape of my arms, but the scars. Holly cow, they look so noticable. I know (hopefuly) they will fade some more, but right now they just look bad. The right one is much wider than the left. I asked my PS and he said it might be that since I am right handed, I did more?
Now the thighs, they just look ok. The large amount of hanging skin in the front is MUCH better. But the thighs are just still big looking.
What constitues a revision? Is it not being happy with the results, or an opening, or what. I told my PS that I was not all that happy with the thighs and he said, you thighs were large, and he did not want to risk pulling me so tight and having openings or seperation. Which I did not have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Montie
Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
Susan S.
on 4/14/09 8:32 am - Roselle, NJ
You are still far too early out to make any decisions about whether or not you would benefit from a revision - minimally 8 months is what I've been told if the issue is scaring (there are laser procedures that will lighten scars - I will be having that done in a few months - have a few spots from the LBL that are more pronounced than the rest).   You also have to be realistic about outcomes based on what you started with - particularly with the medial thigh lift - which is a tough one to heal from under the best cir****tances - pulling skin too tight leads to a lot of problems......I had this discussion with my surgeon - he could have pulled tighter and I could have had the hockey stick extension to really perfect the procedure - but I wanted to be able to function and have minimal issues with healing- and I believe I made the right decision.   I'm 4 weeks out this Thursday and I'm already doing squats and lunges in the gym.  Before you decide to pursue more surgery - have you developed those muscles to the best of your ability?!?!   I would pursue that route before I would consider more surgery.   But at the very least give your body more time to fully heal and for any edema to resolve......I certainly still have swelling......minimal - but it's there.      Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/09 9:01 am - OH
I have not had my thighs done, but I can tell you that the scars on my arms are still red in some places 6 months after surgery.   I was told that it could take a full year for the scars on the arms to heal (I'm not sure why it takes the arms so much longer... the scar from my mons lift (which was done at the same time) looks great already).  I am CERTAIN your arm scars will continue to fade for quite some time, so don't fret.  (I know it's hard when you want to be wearing short sleeves!)

As far as the general revision question, I think it depends on the surgeon... some seem much more willing to do revision work than others... AND on how extensive the revision work would be.  My surgeon did some extra lipo on my one arm (and the other elbow) when I had my TT done in January because one arm was bigger than the other and I had droopy spots at the elbows.  I have a friend, on the other hand, who had a different surgeon, and she has similar issues (at a year out) but her surgeon stalled her telling her it was swelling and now is telling her that there is a limit to how much he can do.

I guess the only thing you can do is talk to your surgeon honestly once you are a bit further down the road...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AbidinginHIM
on 4/14/09 10:05 am - Ontario, CA
Montie,
I had my thigh lift Jan 31 and will have some minor revisions done in office on the 29th of this month.  The issues I have are that my thighs rub together at the top which is causing some rashes and irritations.  Also, there are some creases and folds, particularly on the right leg at the groin crease that needs to be adjusted and dog ears at the top of the groin crease.  My PS wants to do those minor revisions while removing some more skin at the top of the legs to prevent them from rubbing.  My legs will never look small, and will have some dimpling.  I know that won't go away. 
I think for a revision, you have to have a specific concern that he is able to pinpoint and address in a revision.  The vagueness of you do't like that they are still big probably won't get a revision.  My surgeon also felt he had removed all that he safely could without creating a situation where he could not close the wound.  There is a fine line with thighs, and some of us just have more muscle and structure to our legs that won't allow them to be small. 
Just a FWIW - I mentally think my thighs are HUGE - but I'm wearing a size 6 Gap jeans -- they cannot be THAT huge!  Also, they measure 23" around at the fullest point - much better than the 39" they used to be!  My knees are still pretty bulky, and eventually, I'd like that addressed more.  I will probably ask about that when I go see him again, and I would LOVE to have my calves in proportion, but I'm finding that something that no one wants to deal with.
Hang in there, and see if you can give him a specific list of what you want addressed in a revision.

Hugs,

Jennie
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
not_quite_Barbie
on 4/14/09 10:47 pm
I think a revision is just to address certain areas that aren't quite right, like dog ears or a spot that got necrotic and didn't heal well or excessively wide scaring in sposts, where the rest of the scar is smooth and more narrow. I wouldn't think you thighs being still too big will be reason enough but that's up to your surgeon.

I also believe that a revision isn't totally free. YOu still have to pay for the OR and anesthesia, and maybe a minimal fee to the PS.
5'4" start weight 233, current 122 lb.
RNY 9/07
TT/BA 3/09
LBL 4/10
Most Active