New Here

ColoradoHusker
on 4/12/09 8:33 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Hi All -

Have a plastics consultation next Tuesday.  I've lost 215 lbs since 12/17/07; I weigh 225.  The top end goal weight is 220 and low end is 195.  I have approximately 6 1/2 inch drop or overhang panni from hip to hip - not to mention the love handles, muffin top and back fat.  It's the panni that drives me the most crazy - it slips out of panties and shapers.  When I wear the long leg shapers, it causes moisture problems and itching.  So I decided even though I don't plan to have plastic surgery until summer of 2010, I wanted to talk with a surgeon about how much more to lose, how much muscle definition to work for, what type of results to expect - what I'm in for, etc.

I'm hoping health insurance will pay for at least some of it; I'm having terrible itching on my tummy and horrible vaginal itching that I suspect is from the area not getting enough air.  But I know it's a crap shoot, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm surprised how it bothers me by the way my body looks.  I weighed 440 lbs!!!  But I've been in a blue funk for the last 2 weeks over my body now - not that I expect to look like a 21 year old Hooters girl.  However, I think it's setting in that, once again, I still have a freakish body - it used to be due to being so overweight, now it's this flabby, hanging skin, melting candle body.  Last night I was in the bathtub shaving my legs and my arm batwings were slapping my thigh while shaving my calf - oh that's lovely.  Not to mention the difficulty of shaving your thigh when you can literally roll the skin and wad of fat from inner thigh to top of thigh.  Ugh!

I'll let you know how it goes.  I got this plastic surgeon's name from my orthopedic surgeon *****placed both my knees.  If possible I really want to have surgery locally instead of heading up to Denver - easier on me, easier on my family.

thanks!
Jana
bamagirlee
on 4/12/09 12:04 pm - Phenix City, AL
Hi Jana!
First of all let me say you have done an AWESOME job with your weight loss! WOW! 
Secondly, I'm with you on the body image. I too have a hanging panni (have not thought to measure but sounds similar to yours) I truly think that I have a worse body image than before. While I'm down several sizes, and it's much easier to find clothes, I do find myself having to go up a size in my shirts so that they are long enough to cover the panni area (or at least most of it). And...if I do find a long shirt that fits there are those muffin top issues bulging out. It can be very discouraging and can help us forget how far we've come. 
I had my consult last Monday and am now waiting for insurance approval. It's going to take a month or so but I had a lot of documentation on the issues so hopefully I will be approved first time around. 
Hang in there...our PS time will come! I love reading the encouraging stories here of the successes folks have had. 

Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/09 12:28 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
First congrats on a great weight loss!
I think most folks who have lost a lot of weight feel the same way you do....... speaking for myself I know I do.
From time to time I get down about all the saggy, flapping, skin.  It's a cruel twist after losing so much weight and feeling so proud about that that I still feel insecure about my body.  I look forward to the day I can wear a pair pants without having to wear a support garment just to squeeze all the slap together and stop it from acting like jello when I walk.  What I'm really looking forward to is going in the pool and not having my body go shimmy and shake all over the pool as I stand still!

Anyhow, I along with others know how you feel.  I think you'll find this is safe place where you will get lots of encouragement.

Definitely go to a surgeon you are convinced will do the best job for you. 
Take care and keep posting........(I find it's helped me)
Ruth
Redhaired
on 4/12/09 9:17 pm - Mouseville, FL
Jana-
Congratulations on your wonderful WL.  That is terrific.  I just wanted to add that now is the time to start establishing your paper trail of documentation for medical necessity.  Do not self treat anything that is caused by the excess skin.  Every time you get a rash or infection go to your PCP and get it noted in your medical records.  This will help tremendously with getting insurance approval.

Red

gypsywoman6789
on 4/12/09 11:05 pm - Hudson, NH
Welcome aboard!   Your weight loss has been tremendous that is fantastic!  Like the others said, make sure your Dr documents all problems you are having due to the skin.  My GB program drilled this into our heads in preparation of most of us needing panni removal in the future.  So the minute I had the slightest problem I went to see my Dr. and had him give me a RX for nystatin powder and I had him document my rashes and belly button infections.

When you consult with the PS he will ask some key questions that the insurance company will want answered such as have you been having rashes, do they interfere with daily life (the answer is YES) and also how long has your weight been stable and do you plan on losing any more weight.

And as you can tell by the responses already, you are not alone with not liking your new body image.  I  was 263lbs at my heaviest, I'm 5'3 so I was wearing like a 22/24.  I said I would be happy to get down to 150 and be in a 10/12 and that is where I got to.  "Goal" is 128 but that is not a realistic weight for me and that goal number they give you is just a guide based on height.

So in the beginning I felt great, all this weight was coming off, I was blowing through the sizes in clothing it was awesome.  I could shop in the misses dept again and I loved it.  And then once the weight loss stabilized I was left with the sag and flab to contend with and not liking it at all.

Now I had my RNY at a hosp 2 hours from home driving right past really good programs in order to go to who I felt had the best program.  And I initially had my PS consult there also but consulted with two other ps's closer to home who work at the hospital where my husband works.  It would have saved us about $600 If I had the surgery at his hospital.  But in the end I went with the PS from the hosp where I had my RNY because I felt I would get the best result from him and that we were on the same page with what I wanted.  And because he works hand in hand with the RNY program there they have a pretty streamline process on getting things done.

They sent my paperwork to my insurance company on February 13th, a Friday, and I had an approval in my hands by Tuesday the 17th!  Now that is unheard of but I do believe alot of it had to do with the fact that they do this all the time and know exactly what to say to the insurance companies for the approvals.
ColoradoHusker
on 4/13/09 1:29 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you for all the responses!  It's reaffirming to know that I'm not alone in this and my body issues aren't just me being whiny or conceited about wanting a firmer body.

I've got an insurance question that I'll ask in a separate post.

Thanks!
Jana
Most Active