Post-op drainage question

mom23reds
on 4/12/09 10:13 pm - Bryan, TX
I had hernia repair with tummy tuck and panniculectomy on Wednesday. I came home from the hospital on Friday with 2 JP drains. The left one was already having lower volume output than the right.

I have a question -- should there be LOTS (like dripping on the floor level) of drainage going out AROUND the tube?? Obviously I'm going to call my surgeon when he opens in 50 minutes. However, starting yesterday I started having drainage around the drain tube. I'm still getting 30 - 45 ml fluid every 4 to 6 hours from the drain on the right. The left drain is getting about 15 ml every 12 hours. There is some drainage around that tube also, but not like the right one.

I guess I did too much too fast with going to Erin's remembrance last night with the kids. I spent about 30-45 minutes standing around talking to friends. Of course I want to go to the funeral today if possible.

gypsywoman6789
on 4/12/09 10:47 pm - Hudson, NH
I just had my tt on Tuesday.  On Saturday my right drain which was putting out less anyhow started to leak around the tube.  I called my on call surgeon and they said not to worry about it that sometimes they get clogged which backs up the drainage and then the drainage finds another way out.  Then about an hour later the bulb on the end of my drain wouldn't stay "sucked in" if you know what I mean, so I called again and he said that was ok too because it didn't have a tight seal that the bulb wouldn't be able to hold its suction.

I have some leakage around the tube but not as much as you describe but that might just be because you are draining more than I am.

You've probably already spoken to you dr. at this point but thought I'd let you know anyhow.
MSHAMO
on 4/12/09 11:57 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I never had leakage at the drain site, I had 3 drains. Make sure that you bleed your lines properly and make sure your bulbs are sucked in, that causes suction. Good luck!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
mom23reds
on 4/13/09 12:04 am - Bryan, TX
The bulb is staying suctioned. They didn't say anything about bleeding the lines. I'll be sure to ask when I go to the doctor tomorrow morning.

The nurse educator said that the drainage is common if it's closer to the surface than the tube is under the skin. I just get to spend a little time with the absorbent cloth and pushing and prodding to go ahead and get it OUT rather than letting it pool in my body.

mom23reds
on 4/13/09 2:44 am - Bryan, TX
I spoke too soon. The right bulb lost suction, so I called back. "Oh you may need to bleed your tubes." Huh? Not explained or mentioned at the hospital at discharge. Seems like that would be a major thing to mention!!

So she told me how and I did it and it really did clear things out. The left tube is more reddish drainage while the right tube is almost yellow drainage. I'm still only getting about 15 ml per 12 hours from the left side but 30 ml every 3 to 4 hours from the right side. However, stripping the tube really has seemed to solve the leakage issue. So it really sounds as if the tube was blocked and what should have been suctioned into the bulb was just gushing out all over the place.

I may get in this afternoon to see the surgeon, but it may be tomorrow at this point. I could live with either one.

Susan

cleos_mom
on 4/13/09 4:34 am - phila., PA
I had leakage around the site it was more annoying then anything that drainage tube goes in your body about foot,the yellow drainage is good.the more you move the more drainage you will get but I say if its in there it has to come out anyway, my DR. want the drains to be putting out no more then 30cc total in 24 hrs before he removed them. when I had ny hyster & TT together the drains were in for 3 week they were draining so much but then again I never stayed still & even after he removed them he had to aspirate my belly 3 x but it didn't hurt. this time with my thighs I had 4 drains and they hardly drained at all I kept stripping them to make sure they weren't clogged and they were removed my first post-op visit and I have had no problems since with excessive swelling
Good Luck to you
Susan
Most Active