MIA, but important reminder

Monica B.
on 1/17/13 4:39 am - Emery, SD

I am alive and really doing well. Busy, happy, and making progress in losing the 18 lbs gained from the wonder drug Cymbalta.I tried to give up the medication but I hurt so with fibro and the mental closet shut the door so I will take this wonder drug for a better life.

I have lost 5 of the 18 lbs and am working daily to loose the rest. Sadly it found a home around my upper mid-drift, butt, and upper thighs. My knees are a nightmare from carrying 330 lbs around for 20 + years. The damage is extensive and life altering. However my chiropractor and orthopedist have given me relief and a plan of action. Not needing a replacement yet so there is hope. 

My important reminder concerns those who are now loosing weight and for the first time in years can cross their legs. DO NOT DO THIS. I have permanent damage to the nerves in both calves that fun down our legs. All of a sudden in 2006 I could not lift my right foot. It was totally paralyzed and had no feeling. I saw a neurologist and he immediately knew what it was.By CROSSING MY LEGS I PUT HORRIBLE PRESSURE ON THIS NERVE AND COMPRESSED IT. I had to wear a special boot and had many sessions of physical therapy to get the foot to work again so I could walk. I have just begun to drive again, I had no confidence in my ability to drive with so little feeling in my foot. So please be aware and don't hurt yourself by crossing those legs.

Also be aware of transfer addictions. I NEVER DRANK, my husband who is a Nam veteran and is 100% disabled for severe and prolonged PTSD, used alcohol as self medication until he accepted his condition and sought help. After leaving work and beginning our new life in our RV and exploring the USA, I began having a drink each day. I then drank more and soon I was starting the day all day with alcohol. I hit bottom and almost died. I did not realize that the changes in my life with the WLS, selling our home, moving away from family and friends, and traveling would make me drink and to excess. So be aware of changes, they are good, but analyzing why you make a choice is important. Don't make life harder than it is. I have now been sober with joy since 11/01/09.

Hoping all are well and loving life. I am. Slowly increasing my exercise....doing really well on the aqua bike in our wellness center. The chiropractor has made a huge difference in both our lives. My husband can now stand straight and turn his neck in both directions since 1972. I even grew 2 inches since see him. Very impressed with his ability to release the tensions in my neck and shoulders. 

We live in a fabulous area now. Stopped at this RV resort in 11/09 and have made this our home base. Took a 3 month trip to Montana last summer and fall to visit our son and fish. We had a super trip and since our son has a drift boat we made 16 float trips on many of the major river and caught and released hundreds of trout. Wonderful memories. Got to see our nation from back roads and visit Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton, Zion and other parks. Loved being with our son who moved out there for the great fishing and life style. 

Enjoy life and be well

Monica

Connie D.
on 1/17/13 6:50 am

Good afternoon Monica... so nice to see your post here today.

Every time I cross my legs now I think of you and stop myself. That is some good and very helpful information. I don't want any more problems then I already have!!

Being on Facebook with you I enjoyed hearing about your vacation with your son. You posted so many wonderful pictures. What a great experience!!  I enjoyed all the posts you sent.

Transfer addictions are very real. I could have easily switched  to drinking. For a while I was drinking too much. I ended that long ago. I rarely have a drink anymore. I never have been one to have alcohol in my house. Now I am fighting the carb monster!!  On and on I go!!

I am proud of you Monica. You have fought your addiction and won!!

Love and hugs...connie d

Judy G.
on 1/17/13 7:03 am - Galion, OH

Monica...I find myself drinking....each time I have a drink I remind myself of what you have been preaching...so I watch what I do!!! I have a drink once in awhile...I am CAREFUL!!!! With all the things going on here lately I am soooooooooo careful with alcohol!!!!! GOD Bless you Monica and PLEASE Keep preaching!!!!!!!!!!! Love you!!!!!

HUGS

Debbiejean
on 1/17/13 9:06 am - Shelbyville, MI

Monica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for this posting of reminders. Like Connie when I cross my legs I think of you and quickly say to myself "NO''!!!

Thanks for your honesty in regards to "Transfer Addictions''...yep they are so real to all of us and we have to be aware of our behavior. What's going to replace your eating addiction? Have a Plan A and a Plan B to fall back on.

I'm back to walking even in this cold weather. Now I can't wait til Spring. I love Michigan and the 4 Seasons. I love the cold crunch beneath my feet when I walk. I love the smell of burning leaves in the fall. I love the Sunsets over Lake Michigan. Today was great we had sunshine but it was cold. Just give me the sun! I'm happy!! Hugs Monica, I've missed ya! Debbie

Patricia R.
on 1/17/13 9:37 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Monica,
It's so good to hear from you, and see how you're doing. I do hope you're back to posting on a regular basis.

Thank you for the warning about leg crossing. I don't do it because doing so also causes blood clot to form. Those clots can travel to one's lungs and be fatal. My sister and I are survivors, but both of our brothers died from clots in the lungs.

Great to see you.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

poegirl100
on 1/18/13 11:48 am - Cibolo, TX

Hi Monica!  Happy to see you here again after so long.  Been trying to find a minute to post for the past couple of days and tell you we miss you!  Hope you will start to post more often now.

Vic

Vickie 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 378 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1177 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1184 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1123 views