Guidance & advice please

Monica B.
on 1/8/12 11:52 am - Emery, SD
So I have osteopenia. I see my PCP next week. I need your help and insight to help me find a good product for extra calcium. Also looking for new vitamins. Thanks before hand cause I know I can count on my sistahs to give me good advice. I want to go to the doctor appointment informed on what is best of a WLS person.

Eileen Briesch
on 1/8/12 1:10 pm - Evansville, IN
Not sure what to tell you. I know some people swear by the Bariatric Eating Journey brand of calcium. I just buy calcium citrate from CVS or Walgreens or Puritan's Pride (whatever's cheaper) and take 1,500 mg a day (two pills, three times a day). That's what was recommended to me two years ago from my bariatric center. My calcium levels have been fine. I wish you good luck. I had good bone density tests the two times I took them; it's been two years since I had one so I probably need another one soon.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 1/8/12 7:01 pm - Green Valley, AZ
Hi Monica,

Are you using the Calcium Citrate? My surgeon said the Ca Carbonate does not absorb well for those of us with the RNY.  That's all I know about it. !500mg is what I'm on too.   Mag  

annette R.
on 1/8/12 9:39 pm - ithaca, NY
Monica,

Make sure you get enough vitamin D in addition to your Calcium Citrate. I take 2000 units of Calcium, spread out over each day, at least 2 hours before or after any Iron supplement. 

My bone loss over the past 10 years has been considerable. Adding some easy weight bearing exercises made a difference. Shocked me and pleased my PCP to see the numbers go up instead of down for a change.

You are wise to make any necessary changes before the osteopenia turns into osteoporosis.

Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

Pat R.
on 1/8/12 10:17 pm - Sturgis, MI
If you have a Kroger store in your area, try adding a container of CARBMASTER YOGURT each day....only 60 calories, 8 gm. of protein, low sugar.  I eat it every day, and I only take 750 mg. of calcium citrate.....my bone density test last year was in the normal range and the tech said I didn't need another test for 2 yrs.

Best wishes, dear friend!

Pat r.
Connie D.
on 1/9/12 5:23 am
 Hi Monica...I use Bariatri Advantage Chewy Bites...1500 mg ....6 a day throughout the day. I have never had a problem with any of my levels. It is calcium cirate. I order it on line and have it shipped to me.

HUGS...connie d
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 378 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1177 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1184 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1123 views