Cymbalta bound

Monica B.
on 12/8/11 5:33 am - Emery, SD
Doctor is putting me on a trial of cymbalta. He gave me free samples for 1 month. Wish me luck with this medication. He says it will help the insomnia, depression, and the terrible muscle aches.

Judy G.
on 12/8/11 5:54 am - Galion, OH

Monica it worked miracles for me and my pain!!! BUT...it also made my mind do stuff I didn't remember or know what I was doing!!! Good Luck and I hope it really works great for you!!!

HUGS

Eileen Briesch
on 12/8/11 6:24 am - Evansville, IN
Monica, it really helps me on depression and muscle aches and insomnia (most of the time). It cuts the pain down to about half. I think it sharpens my focus, too. But ... that's me. Everyone has their own experience. Good luck.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

mermaidoz
on 12/8/11 7:15 am - Canada
Was at my doctor's today to discuss my latest bloodwork ( and I have a separate post about my low iron stores)...I was diagnosed 30 years go with fibromyalgia, and have osteoarthritis, and of course thanks to my RnY cannot take any NSAIDs orally ( although when on vacation and have to walk, I use Voltaren suppositories 50 mg, once a day together with an oral Pantoloc which is a protein pump inhibitor, to help protect multiple organs and my pouchie and intestines from spontaneous bleeding etc..with the blessing of my surgeon, but when home again after a few weeks away on these nasty meds, I wean myself off daily Voltaren suppository  and companion Pantoloc)....

Anyway, I have painful muscles and ligaments and everything else, including surface skin from fibro, and Doctor today suggested Cymbalta to help me sleep as I wake up after 1.5 - 2hours sleep in pain, and then turn to other side, and try to fall asleep again...A few years ago my Doctor recommended Amytriptilene but although it helped me sleep deeper and I only woke once or twice a night, it had me in a fog until about 11 am in the morning, so I stopped taking it... She had prescribed FLEXORYL ( muscle relaxant) which I take before bedtime, and with a glass of wine enhancing it's effects I can sleep until 5 am, but not moving, so wake up even more sore from no movement, but having had a great deep sleep!

I turned down Cymbalta today because of it's side effects, too scared...was I wrong to do so? i know, everyone is different, and maybe I should take it, but a male friend was on it ( for depression and insomnia ) and women sometimes react differently to the same meds...but he had deep sleep full of weird dreams and hallucinations  and refuses to take it anymore...which is why I turned it down today.

Maybe I am being stupid...let us know here  how you fare on Cymbalta as a senior RnYer.....( I'm a lurker on this site as 66 years old, but find this is more a "social site" than a useful post surgery 
info site for those several years after surgery).

The Mermaid from Oz

Connie D.
on 12/8/11 9:04 am
Like I said in my post to Monica, I took Cymbalta for a week. My lips swelled up  and I had hallucinations and vivid horrible dreams. I am not the norm as I am very sensitive/allergic to many  medications.

Good luck....hope you can get your iron levels where they need to be. I take on iron pill everyday (Ferrous Sulfate 325mg)....I am more then 4 years out and have never had a bad level.  My counts were taken  about a month ago so I know I am where I need to be.

HUGS....connie d

mermaidoz
on 12/8/11 10:06 am - Canada
Thanks Connie...I think I will concentrate on my low iron first and have been recommended to take Proferrin on my "home" site ( OH Ontario) as it is HEME ( derived from Beef) and absorbed in the intestine, so for us post WLS, it makes sense....

Re Cymbalta, I'll tough things out a little longer before I cry Uncle and agree totake it....
mermaidoz
on 12/8/11 10:38 am - Canada
You sound like  my friend on Cymbalta...I guess I will wait a bit before I can get enough courage  to try it...Thanks..

.First I am going to control my iron levels...sleep seems less important right now but will try to handle that too..
Eileen Briesch
on 12/8/11 2:36 pm - Evansville, IN
I am on elavil (amytriptilene) at night for sleep; flexeril if I have muscle spasms (for my spinal arthritis and sciatica)but the thing that has helped the most has been the Cymbalta. As I said to Monica, it has made a big difference in my life. I seem to have no problems with side effects, though ... my body accepts meds easily. The only problems I've ever had has been with some antibiotics that give me the runs.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

poegirl100
on 12/8/11 8:07 am - Cibolo, TX
Monica,

So did the doctor say you have fibro?  Or just some similar symptoms?  I  hope this new medicine helps you, sweet friend.  It sure does appear to have a lot of pros and cons attached to it.

I wonder why so many women get fibro? 

Vic
Connie D.
on 12/8/11 8:30 am, edited 12/8/11 8:30 am
Monica...I heard it really works well. I was on it a week. My lips started swelling up.  I had hallucinations and horrible vivid dreams.  But then I am so allergic to so many medications I am not the norm.

Good Luck.....hugs....connie d
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 378 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1177 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1184 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1122 views