Hey all help needed

kitten992107_
on 11/5/18 4:38 pm

Hey so my question is:

1)where do u guys get your vitamins for after surgery? amazon???etc...

2) in your opionion what should others know or expect for the hospital stay ?

3)how much average do u spend on vitamins etc?

Thsnks in adancel,have a great week.

Referral-10/30/2018, Orientation-January/30/2019,

crqvingchange
on 11/5/18 4:46 pm

I get my vitamins at Costco. The price varies, but I will buy in advance of running out if there is a sale on.

Your hospital stay will be you sleeping a lot the first day. There may be some pain or discomfort they have meds for that, this is major surgery. They will try to get you to drink a little, your throat may be sore from the intubation. I used Choraseptic throat spray. I also used my earplugs and sleep mask. Walk when you can, sip, toot, repeat.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kitten992107_
on 11/5/18 5:01 pm

are you told after surgery what vitamins your are required to take daily or is that before?.

for the first few day i understand that you are walking slowly cause as you said you had major surgery, how long did it take to get back to normal?

Should I have someone at the hospital with me and to keep an eye for the first few days when home?

SweetRide1
on 11/5/18 5:44 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I came through the Hamilton program.

We start our vitamin regime before surgery and it is based on results from your initial blood work. The Dietician told me what to take and recommended Costco. I don't take iron and I know a lot of women do have to take iron. Also, my regime has changed since surgery. I take less B12 now than before but everything else has stayed the same.

Yes, you walk slow right after surgery. Some people experience more pain than others so how fast you move is different for everyone. It took me a full 6 weeks to get my energy back and I was starting to get worried. It did come back and when it did, it never left. I have a friend who had surgery a month ago. She's had great energy right after surgery and on. She never felt tired.

It's your call about someone at the hospital. I had a friend with me the day of. She hung around with me and stayed until I got into my room. She made sure I had my phone and my stuff. No one stayed with me the entire time. When I came home, my sister stayed with me for a week and I needed her. It was great to have her with me. She helped with dogs, made sure I got my fluids in, made soup, took me to get my hair washed etc.

And here's the thing...I did have a complication and had to go to Emergency. I'm not sure I would have gone if my sister hadn't insisted. The reality is, I needed to go immediately. Things could have been very different if I had been on my own. I always recommend that someone stay with you for a few days when you get home.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

kitten992107_
on 11/6/18 10:11 am

Thank you for replying and all that info im glad your doing good now.

crqvingchange
on 11/5/18 5:48 pm

Everyone is different in how long it takes to feel back to normal. Getting in all of your fluids, resting when you need to, and trying to meet your protein requirements will help you get there faster. Drink fluids and get in your protein like it's your job.

You should have someone to drive you home and pick up any meds they may prescribe at the hospital. In Guelph the Pharmacist comes to talk to you about your prescription medications and supplements if you are taking any. The Pharmacist gave me a list that I had to give to my GP about changes in medications. When you are home it would be good to have someone around for a few days to help you out with things.

They will discuss vitamins at the classes at your Bariatric Centre. Some of the Centres are different in what they advise. I was told to take a prenatal multi-vitamin. After my followup blood tests, they would add other supplements.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kitten992107_
on 11/6/18 10:12 am

good to know thank you

Most Active
Recent Topics