Binge Eating Disorder, OHIP, and WLS

Paperlike
on 4/9/18 4:50 pm

I was just diagnosed with BED and I was wondering if having it will exclude me from being able to have surgery. Has anyone here been diagnosed and still able to get the surgery? If so how did getting the surgery affect your disorder?

Thanks

5'2 240 . Referral Feb 15th 2018 . Contact from hospital March 13th . Group info session April 23rd .

corriev
on 4/10/18 10:33 am
VSG on 03/06/18
Scary.Airy
on 4/10/18 10:40 am

Hi Paperlike,

You can still have surgery with BED, BUT... you have to be in treatment / have received treatment for it, and are on your way to getting it under control. If you have the surgery and still suffer from BED, it's going to muck things up for you in the long run.

Are you in treatment for it? I did CBT along with Vyvanse, and while I guess there is no 'cure'... I am pretty thrilled with the results - I haven't had an episode in about a year.

Post-surgery they want me to continue on my medication for BED and potentially keep up / restart therapy if they think I need it.. (or if I do)

Let me know if you want more details on the treatment I've been getting... I am super happy with it.

Paperlike
on 4/17/18 2:29 am

Thanks for replying. I'm not in treatment yet, my psychiatrist is going to set me up with some psychotherapy at some point but right now my insurance won't cover it. Can binge eating come and go? I've been eating under my calorie allotment for a while now and have had no urges to eat a lot or anything.

I'd love to hear more details about treatment if it's not a bother.

5'2 240 . Referral Feb 15th 2018 . Contact from hospital March 13th . Group info session April 23rd .

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/13/18 8:48 pm - Windsor, Canada

Yes you might need extra steps but worth it.

B.Ed is not cured just because you have surgery. So finding extra supports is a good thing.

I was diagnosed after surgery.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics