What are you eating/doing on Friday?

Ginnny
on 5/27/16 4:00 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Good morning everyone!  Woohoo it's Friday.  I made it through my first week back to work, although it was a short one!

Well yesterday was my first follow up appointment back at the Centre.  What a bag of mixed information.  Well the nutrition said I'm doing amazing! Apparently the goal of surgery is to get people to a BMI of 30.  If you can do that you're considered a success.  If that were the case, my work here would be almost done.  BMI of 30.9 yesterday, I'm down 57lbs since my referral last August, BMI was 38.9 back then.  If you look at the roly poly stomach on me, I'm far from a success.  I will agree that I'm well on my way though!

So, rule of thumb 60 - 80 grams of protein...."but you're tall, you should aim for the high end of that".  Okay so how many calories should I be eating?  "About 600, but you're tall so you might need more than that."  Not really helpful.  I prefer to get my protein via food, not powder.  My calories range between 7 and 8 hundred a day usually.  "But I think you're doing amazing!"  So of course I was encouraged to include carbs in my diet, which I try to avoid.  Really what is the point in eating 2tbsp of rice, or mashed potato.  Seems pointless to me.

I will admit that I measure my food by weight and not by volume, so there may be meals where I'm getting more than 1/2 a cup, but I don't eat to full and have never had any issues with vomiting or "foamies".  I will try doing periodic volume checks on what I'm eating but things seem to be working for me.  She freaked me out a little and certainly made me question my choices.  I don't think I'm on board with making carbs a regular daily choice but will throw in the odd something when the menu warrants it (sheppards pie for example).  This meeting was to happen at 3 weeks post op so the "lesson" was geared to the full liquid/pureed stage. I'm on soft food now.  Another check up in July, we'll see how I'm doing then!

So down to the eats:

B - wasa cracker with a slice of cheddar and 2 slices of deli turkey

S - yogurt

L - taco beef, with lettuce, sour cream and cheese

S - mini kielbasa with a cheese stick

D - tuna on melba toast

S - yogurt

Totals:  Cal 765, Carbs 40, Protein 70

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Zizzler
on 5/27/16 4:48 am

Ginny that is awesome that you are not even on solid food and almost at 30 bmi goal, good for you!!  I found the advice from my nut confusing too, she also told me to include more carbs.   When I do eat them I try to make them super nutritious like berries and lower carb fruit and legumes.  If I eat carby stuff like rice, potatoes, crackers, white bread, sweets, etc I get cravings for them and want them all the time, so I do my best to avoid them.  I was feeling dizzy a lot a while back and adding some berries into my diet did help. 

Meggles07
on 5/27/16 4:56 am - Canada

Good morning :)

The puppy woke me up early today when I could have slept in. I think a nap may be in my future. I'm off to see my aunt in the long-term home today. I hope she had a good first night. The process is quite overwhelming.

Breakfast - ham, yogurt

Snack - carrots and pb

Lunch - pepperette, tomato, crackers

Snack - chicken, cheese

Snack - egg, pickle

Dinner - pork, veg

Snack - protein cake

All water and vits.

Patm
on 5/27/16 7:36 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Zizzler gave you good advice. Until maintenance I would not introduce carbs. Pretty hard to stay within their guidelines, eat all that protein and add carbs. You are currently in the losing phase and doing well.l I say stay with what is working.

TGIF is right. Ending up doing more gardening last night. I was really not up to it but felt guilty not helping. Today I could have cheerfully have stayed home in bed.

At TWH today at 1:00pm. If anyone is there say help. I have aplaid shirt on

Home tonight.

b greek yogurt, stawberry/rhubarb

l chili, source yogurt

s protein bar

d chicken kabobs, tzatziki, salad

s crackers and cheese

Ginnny
on 5/27/16 7:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Thanks Pat and Zizzler!  I don't like the idea of adding carbs because I don't really need them.  As you mention my calories are already on the higher side with just trying to fit in the protein!  No room for carbs! 

I appreciate the advice.

new_me180
on 5/27/16 7:41 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Morning all. Well done Ginny, you've done so well since surgery. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll reach your goal in no time. It's so humid in the house today and it's making me even more tired than usual. Nothing planned today, but will be going to work today at 2, but i will stay there till Sunday at 9 pm. My boss is going to Europe on the 6th and she needed a little extra time packing, so i figured i might as well help out and get a little more money instead of just sitting at home doing nothing.

2 1/2 yrs post op

B - 1 crustless quiche, 50g smoked pork, 3 strawberries

S - probably nothing, maybe coffee

L - 3oz lamb chops, 1/4 cup spinach

S - more coffee

D - baked chicken thigh, 1/4 cup rice and red beans,

S - pumpkin pancake 

Calories: 824, 24 carbs, 42 fats, 90 protein

Have a great day all, Nia

Most Active
Recent Topics