Multi Vitamin - Heads Up

Catw
on 1/7/15 10:22 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hey Everyone!

I was at an appointment at the clinic last night, and got some news I thought should be passed on.  Most multi-vitamins will be cutting out the iron.  They haven't done it yet, but it's coming.  So when you pick up new bottles, just check the list and make sure it hasn't changed.  When they do this, you'll need to take iron separately.

Cathy

Patm
on 1/8/15 12:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks for posting. I wonder why they are doing this. I do not need extra iron at present due to my age probably. I wonder if I will need to start taking some. I guess this is why it is good to have your blood work done every 6 mths.

Catw
on 1/8/15 1:34 am - Arnprior, Canada

I wasn't told why it's happening, but when it does you'll probably have to take iron supplements unless you can maintain your iron levels through food.  I was told to take ferrous sulphate pills over ferrous glococomate (sp?) due to absorption.  (My iron is currently low).

I do know that you shouldn't take iron and calcium at the same time due to absorption issues, and most multi's have both.  Not sure if that's the reason for the change or not.

Cathy

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/8/15 2:07 am - Windsor, Canada

Probably since the iron and calcium conflict.  Can't count on them from a multi anyway. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

pegawatt
on 1/8/15 3:32 am - Canada

AT TWH THEY WANT YOU TO TAKE PRENATAL VITS BECAUSE THE IRON AND FOLIC ACID IS INCLUDED

Most Active
Recent Topics