Discouraged

smallisland
on 12/8/13 10:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Well, I have been in a stall for two weeks now and i am only 6 weeks out.  I know I am being impatient but I am working the program really well and feel a bit disappointed.  I wish the scale would start to move.  I see the surgeon for my post-op appointment on Thursday and he is going to wonder why I haven't lost anything since my appointment with the nurse and dietition 2 weeks ago.  Hoping things change soon

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Katie M.
on 12/8/13 10:45 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I know, it's so frustrating. And it's hard not to focus on the stall and let your entire world spin around the scale - I do it all the time. Right now I'm up and down a few ounces every day, nothing really budging. But I have finally dropped a shirt size which means even though the scale isn't doing much the fat is redistributing. Start trying on clothes you couldn't wear before surgery and see how they fit, or start tracking your measurements. People tell you not to get on the scale, don't let it control your mood etc but I find that really hard to do and at this stage of the game I want to know what my weight is at. 

Your surgeon probably won't wonder why you haven't lost any weight - what you are going through is perfectly normal I hate to say! I hope those numbers start dropping for you soon though!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

smallisland
on 12/8/13 11:09 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Thank you for the reassurance.  It is frustrating but i do think i will try on this one top that was too big for me in the spring.  Maybe that will help :)

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Sunny123
on 12/8/13 10:49 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I know you're discouraged but we know by reading there are a lot of folks who stall at 3 and 6 weeks.  I have even highlighted these weeks on my spreadsheet as I know I will be discouraged and feeling down.

It's a lot of work so it's not nice when the scales don't reflect the hard work. Kate is right, try on some clothes that didn't fit.  I think you may be in for a big surprise.

No doubt the doctors/dietitian have run into the stalls before...no one will judge you!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

smallisland
on 12/8/13 11:14 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

I hope they don't because i have been sticking with the meal plan.  Between 600 and 800 calories a day is what my caloric intake is when following their plan.  What's weird is that I don't even feel like I had surgery only from the scars....one not healed quite yet...and the occasional heartburn after taking my pills.  I don't really feel full so I make sure follow the plan very carefully.

Hennagirliegirl
on 12/8/13 10:59 pm - Canada

Hey, keep your chin up! his is why I only weigh in once a week. And I have to tell you, last week for me was week three, and I had a stall,,,,today being week four and also being weigh in day I'm down ( not much, but down,)

27.6 pounds one month post op in comparison to most is low,,,but guess what,,,it's still 27.6 whole heavy freaking pounds, and I'll take it and wear it with pride

Change your mindset and celebrate, you've done amazingly well so far, with great accomplishments to come!

Congratulations

Terri

Test

smallisland
on 12/8/13 11:19 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Thank you :)  I do only weigh once a week but when the scale didn't move the first time I started weighing every 2-3 days hoping to see some change...patience is not one of my virtues...lol.  I lost 22 pounds in the first month and they said that was about right...between 15 to 30.  It's just not budged a bit since I started soft foods.  But you are right...i have lost the 22 and I guess I should be proud of that.  I wonder if some of it is because I had the VSG rather than the RNY because of my medications....which thankfully the surgery has not affected. So I guess I should be happy about that as well :)  Thanks for the chin up!

mytimetoofly
on 12/9/13 12:10 am - Canada

You are doing everything right so just keep it up. The weight will come off and you will notice your shape changes. Be happy with all you have accomplished, you have come a long way baby!!do a little happy dance.

the weight is coming off.......

Surgery: July 11, 2013. Hamilton, Ontario. 

ALOA2013
on 12/9/13 12:34 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi, I just wanted to add that I an in my three week stall right now and I am actually ok with that. I was losing pretty rapidly and it was almost too fast so I am glad my body is smart enough to say hey wait I need to catch up and settle and and adjust to this new life and then we can hit it again!  I am also walking with my dogs for 90 mins every day and on weekends with my hubby longer so maybe I am starting to build some muscle too, you have to account for that.  I do weigh myself every day and the scale has not moved in about 5 days and that's ok because how my clothes are fitting is so awesome and the amount of people that are saying to me "holy crap you have lost weight and I can so see it." Tells me I am losing inches. And I also remember a lot of the vets saying make sure you are going to the bathroom regularly because if you get backed up that adds weight not to mention uncomfortable.  You can do this, and if you center is happy with your progress and what you are eating then try to focus on other things like what food or recipes will you make when you hit the full food stage.  It not just about the scale, think of how many personal NSV you probably have had in those short six weeks that mean the world to you and you only.

Best of luck, I know you can do this.  Keep us posted.

Leslie

Height 5' 5" HW: 244  SW: 226  CW: 128    

maniakmyke79
on 12/9/13 1:42 am

I am going to offer up some very valuable advice here.

THROW OUT THE DAMN SCALE! it is an almost useless tool that will do nothing but make you feel like you are not doing well.

Also you are a mere 6 weeks out.  You have not fully healed or are just finally healed.

Your body needs a chance to adjust to this dramatic change.  

Your hormones need a chance to level out.

Give your body a chance to regulate itself from the changes.

Now the real issue.

Cut yourself some slack.  You are very new to this and you are already disappointed? This is a behavior you need to fix ASAP. You need to look big picture here.  You did this (i hope) for a better life.  not for a weight loss solution.  How are you going to feel 1 year, 5+ years after? Trust me, YOU WILL FALL OFF THE WAGON. You are human and will make mistakes. We all have and will continue to.  I am 2 years out and i have fallen off badly. (regained 20 lbs) due to some personal turmoils im dealing with.  

I guess what i am trying to say is that you need to develop the mental toughness and discipline to deal with these setbacks or issues NOW.  It will only benefit you down the road.

Best of luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics