gas/burps

TammyS74
on 12/2/13 9:39 am - Canada

ok so I have been told right after surgery I will have lots of gas cause they pump you full of air during the procedure.  How long do you have these painful burps etc for?

Surgery Date: December 6 2013 Humber River Regional Hospital Dr. Sohi  

ALOA2013
on 12/2/13 11:00 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Tammy, I am 18 days post op and the painful burping for me lasted about 10 days and it also hurt a lot to sneeze, cough and laugh, all that was so hard/painful.  One night I got the hiccups and thought I was going to die from the pain and then it just went away on its own.  Walking for me helped so much, I literally paced around my house, it really does help in getting the gas to move.

All the best for surgery,

Leslie

Height 5' 5" HW: 244  SW: 226  CW: 128    

TammyS74
on 12/3/13 5:19 am - Canada

Thanks Leslie yes I will doing the walking I was told like 5min every hour at first.  I am assuming I can do it on the treadmill?  not too keen on going outside LOL

reenie33
on 12/2/13 11:03 am

I was about 2 weeks  with gastly farting, Real loud big ones that felt great!! Thank goodness I was alone for the most part.

TammyS74
on 12/3/13 5:20 am - Canada

OMG Reenie I literally LMAO !! So some people fart and some burp?  Or do you do both?  I already warned my husband I will be gasy he is sooooooo looking forward to it LOL  I heard that it comes and goes forever though,??

Katie M.
on 12/2/13 11:14 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I had no gas pain that I remember, but I did have incision site pain that I was on painkillers for for almost a week. No burping, very little out the other end too :p I did get a tiny bit of feeling of discomfort in my shoulders on the third day after surgery, but a hot shower fixed that. Everyone is different. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

TammyS74
on 12/3/13 5:21 am - Canada

Thanks Katie fingers crossed it is like that for me

EternalEx
on 12/3/13 1:18 pm - Canada

I had some gas pain right after, but as soon as I got up and moved it was much better. I never had major pain of any kind afterwards, so I was lucky. Hiccups and sneezing will hurt like a SOB for the first few weeks, which is normal after stomach/abdomen surgery - try to cushion your tummy with a pillow to help.

Most Active
Recent Topics