Need advice

hockeydad2013
on 11/29/13 8:41 am - Canada

I am 7 weeks post op. Starting to eat more foods but lately anything not puréed except hamburger hurts right in my chest, thinking it's not going down smooth. I tried moist chicken with a little gravy chewed very well ouch, fish with a light sauce not burnt or dry owe . At hockey tourney now small bite of cheese pizza owe. They haven't gotten stuck all the way but owe. I had two pieces of a roast with gravy went down great .

getting good results aside , pants went from 56 to 50 and shirts from 4xt to 2xt for the most part some 2x still don't fit

Katie M.
on 11/29/13 8:51 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Are you taking small bites? I find if I take too large a mouthful, even if it's chewed really well it can still cause pain in my sternum. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

hockeydad2013
on 11/29/13 10:08 am - Canada

I am trying to take small bites,  I don't really like the dark meat on the chicken . Just starting to be a pain 

Katie M.
on 11/29/13 10:16 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I don't do great with chicken either, although chicken thighs do go down, beef goes down better. For now I am sticking to hamburger and roast beef and maybe at 8 weeks I'll try chicken on a regular basis again. Maybe just keep it to beef until things are more healed? I think for a lot of people chicken is something that never sits well, and it has to be dark meat and really, really moist. I think it takes (on average) 4 months to fully heal inside so if something is hurting when you eat it, don't force the issue. Just go back to what you know goes down well and try other things again at a later date. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Patm
on 11/29/13 9:29 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Unfortunately it is trial and error. What agrees with one person does not aqgree with others. I will say that I can only eat chicken thighs not breast. Give it some time and try again

JJ_
on 11/29/13 9:20 pm

If it is causing problems....take bites the size of a pencil eraser, chew really well and take pauses between bites.  Personally I used some sort of sauce or gravy with any meat.  It keeps it moist and slides well.

Good luck in this trial and error portion of the show :)

Judy

Bibo
on 11/29/13 10:01 pm

I had the same deal, except I  could only eat fish...then later on I added beef...still can't do chicken..and some days I can't do fish or beef...beans work.(some of the time)...I did baby food for a while because it was easier than blending it up....any of it works with garlic and spices....

hockeydad2013
on 11/30/13 12:06 am - Canada

Thanks I thought I was taking small bites but no were near erase tips. I will try smaller bites. What sauces are low in sugar and carbs and taste ok

daisies109
on 11/30/13 10:56 am
Hi...I am midway through the puree stage and have tolerated chicken breast mixed with tatziki. I also love tatziki and very easy to make your own at home. I'm sure it would taste great with pork as well. I find because it is a yogurt base, it really helps the meat to slide down nicely.

Daisies

Nerak
on 11/30/13 7:38 am - Canada

Hockey Dad, wow, you are doing so great! Congratulations on your success. 

I think that you should get it checked out - it could be a minor stricture  - I just think you should get it checked out. Otherwise, I don't find food hurts but it sure can make me ill and I never know from one day to the next what that will be (one day chicken goes down well /another, not so well). I find yogurt always goes down well but who can live on yogourt? Haha

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Most Active
Recent Topics