Medic Alert

merry1
on 9/23/13 6:04 am - Canada

I am interested in getting my medic alert bracelet.  I didn't realize they charge 60$/yr to enroll in the program and we can't buy their product unless we enroll.  I understand some people are opting to have their own bracelet engraved.  Does anyone know where this could be done, in the greater Toronto area?  I have to admit that some of the bracelet options offered by Medic Alert are really nice but not so sure I need the extra charges since I no longer have a lot of medical issues to worry about (hurray for that!)  If we get our own engraver do we have to include the logo on the one side?  Do medics check for these things at all times?  I mean if they were in a real hurry, could they overlook it if it didn't have the medic alert logo?  Assuming we can use the logo that is.  Just hoping somebody else out there has looked into this.....Gee, maybe a tattoo would be better?

CBarnes11
on 9/23/13 7:16 am - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

Hi,

I have a medical alert bracelet for a severe allergies that i bought from a kiosk at the Pickering Town Centre and had it engraved somewhere else in the mall.  It has the medic alert symbol on one side.  I don't think that they will go looking for just any bracelet, you will want to make sure it has the symbol for sure.  You can buy the bracelets (many different styles and metals) at jewelery stores.  

Urbanlamb
on 9/23/13 7:50 am - Canada

Go here luv...

http://canada.universalmedicalid.com/canada/frequent.php

You can order online or by phone.

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

merry1
on 9/23/13 11:01 am - Canada

Thanks so much for this, I found one I really like!  A million thank yous!!

Robyn R.
on 9/23/13 8:16 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I can tell you with utmost certainity that the medics are too busy to read every piece of jewellary on an individuals body, so for your safety, it must have the symbol on it in order to catch their attention.  Unfortunately, tattoos are no good as we in the health care profession can not use those as direction.  Unfortunately there has to be a paper trail.  The $60/year is pretty good bang for your buck with the information that the facilities and medics will have at their disposal to speak for you when you cant.  It does save precious time when there is not much to be had.  Hope that helps

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/13 9:20 am - Straford, Canada

I am sure folks tire of me saying this but when you are unconscious the small amount that you pay medic alert could be huge when it comes to care.  Not so much from paramedics but when you arrive at a hospital, especially one not intimately familiar with bariatric surgery, the treating nurses/doctors can easily access you medical information which you can update online as new procedures/therapies happen and have much quicker access to your surgeon or at least to the hospital where your surgeon practices.  It may make a difference, it may not.  I'm very willing to pay the small fee they charge to have that information available.  

Needanewbeginning
on 9/23/13 2:17 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I couldn't agree more with Ian. Worth every penny. I use universal id as well, great service, online info that you don't pay annually for and lots of different styles to select from. 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics