getting frustrated still no call

Liv2ride63
on 12/27/11 11:01 am - tweed, Canada
ok its been since aug since my orientation in ottawa and havent heard a thing ,,not one appointment yet ,,just want to get on with my life , was hoping to have surgery done by at least spring.
chipmunk_roasting
on 12/27/11 11:11 am, edited 12/27/11 11:12 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Hi,

Which Bariatric Centre are you associated with?

I am going through the Civic Hospital in Ottawa;  my orientation was early July 2011.  We were told that we would receive our first appointments in eight to nine months, March/April 2012. 

I hope this is helpful.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Robin H.
on 12/27/11 11:13 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
 i know in Thunder Bay once you do orientation it is up to you to call and schedule appointments

msheavyhearted
on 12/27/11 6:27 pm, edited 12/27/11 6:27 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

This wasn't the case for me in TBay. I called A LOT and it hasn't made a bit of difference. I did my orientation in August 2010 and am STILL waiting for a surgery date. It seems if there's a crack to fall through, tumble, I will.....

Edited to say: What I meant was the team always called me with my appointments for the next steps. I called to make sure things were progressing.

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Robin H.
on 12/28/11 3:48 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
 really.... i booked all my social worker, nutritionist and nurse appointments yes they called with the surgical consult and hamilton called with my surgery date.

chipmunk_roasting
on 12/27/11 11:17 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Ooops!  Sorry, I replied too quickly;  you did say you had your orientation in Ottawa.

The rest of my response stands.  :)

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/11 11:39 am - Guelph, Canada
 I think Ottawa and Guelph have the longest times... I had my orientation @ Guelph in April 2011.. I am hoping for surgery April 2012

maybe someone can post the link to the spreadsheet with the times on it... 
Carpe Diem
on 12/27/11 11:43 am - Canada
I know how hard it is. My advice to you is to count on surgery about this time next year. If you do a search on ottawa's wait times you'll find a lot of grumbling posts about an average wait time of at least 12 months from orientation. I heard that Ottawa will be expanding to add two more beds in the spring so hopefully the pace will be picked up as a result.

Everyone has their own coping mechanisms. I don't know what works for you but I know I don't like to be waiting by the phone with baited breath (which is exactly what happened to me).

My surgery took 12 months longer than I was expecting, as the Admin team at the civic is loathe to give realistic timelines. You leave one appointment having no clue when you'll be called with the next one, and if you ask the response will be noncommittal.

I completed orientation, nurse, nutritionist/behaviourist and didn't hear a word from them for another 5 months and then still had to wait another 3 mo till surgery.

What's worse, no one set my expectations when I left my last visit in may, that I likely wouldn't hear a peep from then for 5 months. Had they told me from referral that it'd take a year and a half then I'd have only spent the past 6 months by the phone.

Anyway, I hope you aren't to disappointed but instead feel empowered with knowledge. And again, maybe those two extra beds will make all the difference.

Liv2ride63
on 12/27/11 11:56 am - tweed, Canada
they told me in aug that if you marked wanting to transfer to humber on the piece of paper that it would knock a little off the wait time ,,i heard up to 7 months wait ,,the one girl at the desk on the way out i asked and she said i would hear something within the next 3 months about appointments, i wish i had gone to toronto to begin with ,its a hour closer to me as well ,,but they told me i have to do all my appointments in ottawa and i can have my surgery at humber
MS Miller
on 12/27/11 9:21 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

I would transfer to Humber today, it;s your choice, and I would recomend you get them to fax and then send your file to Humber, and check with Humber to make sure they did it.

I had orientation March 28th, then has surgery at HRH Sept 13th, if I had pushed more I think they forgot to send my file until July, you should get your surgery within 4-5 months not 12 months like Ottawa.

Good luck

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Most Active
Recent Topics