20 months post op - GERD-y feeling/no appetite?

Liz R.
on 10/24/11 4:20 am - Belleville, Canada
  all!  I haven't seen many of you for some time, so many new faces as well.  I wish you all luck and success on your journey.

I'm posting mostly with a question for WLS vets (I'm 20 months post op btw).

Just recently...say, the past month or so, I've been getting a terrible acid-y feeling in pouchy.  I used to have severe GERD prior to my RNY, but I've had zero issues since.  This is fairly new and I hate it.  Is it common and normal to have acid reflux come back?  I thought that we would never feel this acid again?

Also, my appetite has been going downhill in this time too.  I'm still working on getting my protein in and I handle liquids fine.  I just don't have the appetite.  After a few bites I just feel "blahh" like I don't want to eat anymore.  This is just a little unusual as I normally have no issue eating lol.  In 20 months post op I've never once vomited, and I don't have trouble tolerating foods.  I try to stick away from the sugars as I am a dumper, and still am.

Any advice from the vets??

Thanks so much in advance!

Liz  .......... www.facebook.com/johnstoy
GP appointment for referral: July 8, 2009
 Consult with nurse/NUT November 4th, 2009 
7 week NUT preop check December 22, 2009
Meet the surgeon & schedule surgery January 19th, 2010
PATS January 28th, 29th, 2010

SURGERY!!!!!!  February 9, 2010
Hernia Repair(s) May 22, 2010
Thanks to Kitty_White for being my wonderful  and friend!

birdiegirl
on 10/24/11 8:27 pm

Hi Liz

I also had severe reflux pre surgery....resolved shortly thereafter...

However...I have had episodes of acid the past 6 months - usually when I have eaten poorly....but certainly not for long....and a tums or two took the feeling away..

I would get in touch with your surgical center....this does not sound normal to me - especially with a decrease in appetite..

Good luck

Barb

Karen M.
on 10/24/11 11:31 pm, edited 10/24/11 11:32 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Liz, I agree with Barb. Get in contact with your surgical team and get an appointment. You may well have reflux again - WLS doesn't guarantee resolution of that, unfortunately. Not good for your stomach (or anything in your digestive tract) to be dealing with excess acid. Hope you feel better.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics