chewing food well??

Leslie W.
on 6/21/11 7:12 am - Cobourg, Canada
I am still pre op but have a question about chewing food well. Was it hard for you to quickly learn to chew food well and not swallow it prematurely? Have been trying to slow down and chew chew chew then I find that oops swallowed!
Does it get easier not to do that becasue it hurts otherwise? or is it more trial and error, don't chew and it hurt so wont do that?

Amazing what you think of in the middle of the night.
Still trying to work on no drinking with meals. Giving up caffiene and pop was a sninch to drinking with meals.

Thanks

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Sharvanne
on 6/21/11 7:28 am - Canada
 For me, depending on what kind of food it is, it can hurt if I don't chew well enough. Of all the new rules, I think chewing well enought is the one thing I have to be most concious of.
Highest Weight - 372 (May 2010)
Surgery Weight - 332.6 (March 4, 2011)
Current Weight - 212.9
Goal Weight - 175
3littlepigs
on 6/21/11 7:34 am
I'm over 4 months out and haven't had any problems with not chewing the food enough.  When I try a new food (ie asparagus) i make sure that even the stringy  bits are completely broken up.  I do have to eat after my kids eat because I have to be completely concentrating on chewing for fear of swallowing something too big.  After being on fluids for so long I was really happy to start solids and really missed the chewing.  Life is good!
Donna

northernlight
on 6/21/11 8:19 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Leslie, those are the very same two things that I am most worried about too - chewing & drinking! Boy, old habits sure are hard to break - I'm afraid that I'm going to forget and swallow too big of  a piece or take a big drink of water with my meal. I guess we'll have to really pay attention!

Deb

runjoeyrun16
on 6/21/11 9:00 am
pre-op, i was definitely a speed eater. i always ate my food extremely quickly and didn't chew very well. prior to my surgery, i practiced chewing my food really well, putting my fork down and timing between bites.. it was excruciating at first. but now, it's second nature to me to eat that way.
August 20th, 2009 - Referral for WLS from family doctor
May 17th, 2010 - Orientation at Windsor Hospital
May 26th, 2010 - Appointment with nurse and SW
June 1st, 2010 - Appointment with NUT and doctor
August 31st, 2010 - Follow up with SW, NUT and doctor
October 7th, 2010 - Surgical Education Class
November 2nd, 2010 - Consultation with Dr. Jules Foute Nelong
December 21st, 2010 - SURGERY DAY!
Quinns_mommy
on 6/21/11 11:40 am

You'll make the mistake of eating too fast and not chewing well enough once - and then you'll do everything you can to avoid doing it again! OUCH! I am going on 2 months out, and am still having to be very MINDFUL when I eat - otherwise food gets stuck and it's very painful.

You'll figure it out :)

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
Karen M.
on 6/21/11 11:47 am - Mississauga, Canada
Most of us make that mistake - a few times. LOL  You do eventually learn how to "chew" and eat. lol

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

missingmanny
on 6/21/11 11:32 pm - Canada
I've only had one issue with food stuck and it is PAINFUL....I doubt I'll ever forget again!  And it was an 'innocent' food...the white rind on a slice of grapefruit....imagine....
Sound like you're already conscientious...

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

Most Active
Recent Topics