lose/gain/lose frustrations

Leslie W.
on 5/9/11 11:16 pm - Cobourg, Canada
I think the most frustrating part in weight loss is you lose weight, don't change anything gain back five then lose the 5 again. Soooooooooooo frustrating. Sorry just had to vent!

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Joyce J.
on 5/9/11 11:30 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

Venting is good
Now are you talking about before surgery? Cause I don't see that happening to too many people after surgery, especially soon after surgery.

Keep your chin up

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

flyingwoman
on 5/10/11 1:16 pm
 Happens to me near every week. If you plotted my weight loss by month on a graph, it would be a distinct, regular slope downhill. If you charted a graph of my weight day by day it would look more like an erratic  heart rate monitor where the average value going very gradually down.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/11 10:58 pm - Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Great way to describe this, mo..... I'm doing exactly the same thing and frustrating as it is, once you know that the general trend is going the right direction, it's so much easier to cope.  Keep up the great job ...

suzyq0052
on 5/10/11 5:08 am
I sort of understand your frustration...

I am in my 10th week postop and my weight loss seems to be sluggish despite following diet regime closely (portion control, lots of protein, very few carbs and only complex carbs, drinking my fluids,  etc) and getting plenty of exercise.. I seem to hang forever on the same weight.. then drop a pound and then gain it back.. drop it again.. like a series of mini stalls..

have resigned myself to the fact that losing the weight is possibly slower for those folks in late 50's (will be 59 in a few months)compared to the younger folks (metabolism issues??).. and maybe the heavier you are the faster you lose? (Just guessing here, may be way off base!)

I have lost some weight.. am down 43-44 pounds since Feb 16.. my surgery was March 2/11.
So, I am not complaining that I am NOT losing weight.. I am just noticing that the weight loss is slow and seems to stall a LOT.. I have to keep reminding myself not to get frustrated.
I am losing inches.. toning up. So I know I am succeeding but.. would love to see the pounds disappear a bit quicker! Somehow I have told myself that the weight will drop off fairly quickly and it does not seem to be happening as quickly as I had figured it would.

suzyq0052,

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/11 6:53 am - Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Funny, I was just talking about this very subject this morning.  I'm 58 (tomorrow!) and I've noticed a pattern in my weight loss that could be really, really frustrating.  I'll go along for a while hovering at the same weight, drop a bunch, immediately pop back up to almost where I started and then do it all again.  Aargh!

Bottom line is that I AM losing, but it is slow, so I'm happy, despite the bouncing.    Maybe it is an age thing.  Dunno, but I'll take it.

Leslie W.
on 5/10/11 7:44 am - Cobourg, Canada
I can't wait until I can have this surgery done. I am making the changes in my life style (cut caffine and pop, no snacking etc... Especially hard when you are so good step on the scale and gained! Going to see a Dietician so I can be sure on the right track for when ever I do get a date. Everyone here has been so supportive. Thanks again Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
laura S.
on 5/10/11 12:52 pm - London, Canada
I feel your pain Leslie.  I've been doing that too.. I bet I've lost and gained the same 5 pounds for at least 3 months... it's driving me bonkers.  I do have PCOS, and I hear that can make it harder to lose weight, but my doctor has never mentioned that aspect of it to me, so who knows!  I just know I want to get into the 320's for longer than 2 seconds!!!!

Good luck!

Laura

LouiseF
on 5/10/11 8:01 am
RE- the age thing, not sure that it makes a huge difference. I was 55 when I had surgery, turned 56 a few months later. I lost steadily, had a stall at three weeks- expected, but carried on losing inches. My largest weight loss was 6 lb in one week- right after surgery. From then I lost 1/2 to 1 pound a week. As a lightweight, I expected not to lose large amounts. I expect I am at goal now- staying between 162-168 lb, it took about 7 months. I am happy here, all my co-morbids are cured, clothes are a size 10 or medium.
Most Active
Recent Topics