Deal with Gallbladder now or wait for WLS

Leslie W.
on 5/1/11 11:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada
I have been having issues with Gallbladder pains. Would like your opinions please. Can I just wait and deal with this with WLS (hopefully will be booked in Summer) or should I get it dealt with now. Will it get me in faster? or will it delay things?

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Karen M.
on 5/1/11 11:24 pm - Mississauga, Canada
If your gallbladder is causing you difficulties and pain, get it dealt with.  There is no guarantee that your WL surgeon will agree to take out your gallbladder at the same time.  Gallbladder problems are exceptionally painful, as I'm sure you're aware, and can lead to other problems.  Just my 2 cents.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/11 11:48 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
You don't have a WLS surgery date yet so I'd not put it off.  Many WLS surgeons won't do both at once so you could end up with one that won't and still need 2 surgeries.  I put mine off years ago because it wasn't a good time to be off work and of course I put work before my own health and I paid for it in the end.  My gallbladder was so diseased by the time I was admitted through ER that I had to have it done open vs lap and recovery was a ***** and I had a lavage in my stomach that I most likely could have avoided if I wouldn't have delayed it.  Book the GB surgery and if the dates happen to be close to the WLS date then ask your WLS surgeon if he/she will do both but I'd not delay the GB in case they say no.  It could take months to get the GB removed so I'd start that ball rolling now.  The attacks never get better and I'd not wish them on my most hated enemy.
Leanne1
on 5/1/11 11:49 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I agree with Karen

Gall bladder pain is horrendous to try and "deal" with. Get it looked at as soon as possible.
Lil-Stinker
on 5/1/11 11:50 pm
I agree with Karen, but then again you have to look at the fact that this will mean 2 surgeries. Talk to your doctor and if you can hold off without too much discomfort, they will likely do it at the same time. Also, be aware that gall bladder surgery (laproscopally) will give you a whole different set of scars (in different spots than WLS) if done seperately.
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
bellamia 1976
on 5/2/11 2:49 am - Canada
I had my first gallbladder attack december of 2009 - stayed in hospital for the 2 weeks of holidays - no surgeon would touch me cause they told me i would die on the table - my liver was so enlarged - and i was so big that i needed a bariatric surgeon to operate on me - so i had to stay away from deep fried foods - caffeine - rich foods - anything that would give me pain or set it off for 1 year - i then had my rny and my gallbladder removed at the same time - it takes a long time to recvover when you have these 2 surgeries together but it is well worth it afterwards - once its done you have nothing else to worry about and you dont have to worry about being operated on again until plastics!! For me it got me in fairly qucik cause of all the problems it caused me - i only had to wait 1 year when others have been waiting 1.5 - 2 yrs depending on cir****tances....good luck to you! I wish you a speedy and fast recovery!!!
Leslie W.
on 5/2/11 5:06 am - Cobourg, Canada
Thanks everyone for your responses. Made my appointment. Can't get in until june but on the cancellation list.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics