Gall Bladder...... Grrrrrr.

Sean S.
on 4/20/11 1:32 pm - Perkinsfield, Canada
 So I was sitting at my desk yesterday minding my own business when out of the blue something hit me in the sternum......  Felt like a shotgun went off in my guts......  HOLY HELL THAT HURT!!!!!
Drove myself to emerg to find out that it was gallstones (kind of figured it was but thought a second opinion was a good idea)  Liver enzymes were off the chart.  Turns out one of the little buggers (apparently there are more than 20 stones in there - quite a party) got lodged in my common bile duct for a while but sometime during the night last night it passed through....  Luckily I was on enough Demerol and then Morphine that I didn't care if it passed or if it decided to take up residence and invite a friend..........
So now, I'm back at home on drugs to calm it down.  They don't want to do the surgery when it's as inflamed as it is unless they have to and are hoping that it is in better shape in a week or so to remove it.......
Funny thing - I knew | had stones - they were there when I had PATS a year and a half ago, and the decision was to leave them and deal with them later.  I actually said (out loud duh....) to my wife two days ago "wow, my gall bladder still hasn't given me any trouble........"  I feel like a complete dumbass.........
Sean 2.0 - New and Improved.......

laura S.
on 4/20/11 9:19 pm - London, Canada
Sorry to hear that you had such a tough time.  Yay for good drugs tho!!  Hopefully they take it out quickly so you can be done with it once and for all.

Laura

allmylife4
on 4/20/11 10:10 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/16/12
Great to see you can still have a sense of humor after all that. Hopefully you are not suffering too much now that you have some meds. Keep us posted.

Julie    
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 12:03 am - Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Ouch!  That sounds like a nasty, nasty experience .... maybe someday having a RNY will automatically include having your gall bladder removed too...

Good luck with a quick resolution to this (and for many more good drugs along the way)
mo
Monica M.
on 4/21/11 12:08 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
yowza. Hope the pain goes away, and they can do something about that nasty gallbladder. (teaches you right to tempt the fates like that, you probably said "hey, i think i'll get the bike out", and that's why it snowed again last night)

Karen M.
on 4/21/11 12:14 am - Mississauga, Canada
Ahhh... I feel your pain.  Or felt it, anyway.  I had my gallbladder removed almost exactly 2 years post-RNY.  When I had my first attack, I was quite certain I was having a heart attack, the pain was THAT bad.  You'll be well rid of it, hopefully soon!

As an FYI to others, rapid weight loss by any means (not just RNY) can cause gallstones and gallbladder problems.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Kristen D.
on 4/21/11 12:22 am - Kingston , Canada
Oh god I feel your pain...I just had my gallbladder out two weeks ago after developing gallstones after the RNY. What a relief now that it is out!!! Feel better and hopefully they will pull that sucker out soon

My Angel is Karen M

valleygirl50
on 4/21/11 1:17 am - Canada
i sure do feel your pain...rapid weight loss has made my gull bladder act up.....i lost 72 pounds before surgery and since surgery another 20.....and just last week i had to go see my family doc to get some liquid morphine it was acting up so bad.....(im only 3 weeks out)...im now booked for ultra sound and wating to get a surgon apointment. oh fun times.....good luck to u!
irol770
on 4/21/11 4:15 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
That really sucks.  It's unfortunate that your doctor didn't decide to take out your gall bladder when you had your surgery.  But hopefully they will get it out quickly now and you won't have to worry about it for much longer. 
Glitter Text Generator

northernlight
on 4/21/11 7:45 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Wow Sean, that must have been pretty scary, not to mention painful! Hope that the drugs are keeping the pain away & that you can get this resolved soon!  Best of luck!

Funny, I just found out that I have a gallstone - it showed up on my Ultrasound but I haven't had any pain so I don't know what my doctor will want to do.

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics