home

highlandbear
on 3/30/11 9:35 am - Canada
I finally got out late today from the hospital. I first like to Thank all of you for your care and concerns.  It was a tough few days . The morphine was not even helping with the pain at first. They did the scope on Tue. and found out that I have candy cane syndrome. It has to do with the by pass surgery. There was a piece that was left which some doc. do leave and some cut it off. It does look like a candy cane if left. What is happening instead of the food going straight down it is going into the hook part which has gotten bigger over time. This is causing the pain and is what making me feel so sick. I have codeine for at home here and I need to keep things very soft for now. I will see the surgeon in 2-3 weeks and it may mean another surgery to remove the hook part. I have to wait and see. The worst part for me is I was suppose to run my first 5k race on Sunday and could not do it because I was in the hospital. I know there will be other races and my health comes first but I worked so hard for this race and was looking forward to it. It does hurt.  For now I just have to be careful with my eating and wait to see what the surgeon says. I am tired now so I am going to go and relax
Barb
Karen M.
on 3/30/11 9:38 am - Mississauga, Canada
Barb, I'm so glad to hear from you!  I was worried!
I have *never* heard of this before. Off to do my research.
You're in my thoughts and please let us know how you're doing and what's happening. XO

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

highlandbear
on 3/30/11 12:10 pm - Canada
Karen if you find out anything let me know. I am going to start doing research on it tomorrow. I promise to keep you posted and thanks for everything.

Barb
Miss Belody
on 3/30/11 4:21 pm - Keswick, Canada
http://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(07)00119-0/abstract

or otherwise known as

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002131/

I just had surgery to remove mine and I had surgery at same hospital.
  www.missbelody.com-My Website  Current Weight 137, 13 pounds below Target

birdiegirl
on 3/30/11 9:44 am
Hi Barb

Hope you start to feel better soon - Did ST Joes do the surgery?
Take it easy and hopefully you dont have to have another surgery

all the best

Barb

highlandbear
on 3/30/11 12:14 pm - Canada
It looks like it is going to be a long haul for me. Yes St Joes did the surgery and I do have to say they were great with me in the ER and on the floor. I will know in a few weeks if they will have to do another surgery.
Barb
Lisa3756
on 3/30/11 10:43 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Hi Barb!

So glad you are home and that they know what the problem is/was.  Sorry you missed out on your race, I know you were really looking forward to it.

Take care and take it easy!!
Lisa

Referral sent 2010-03-02
Information session 2011-01-21
Appointment with the nurse 2011-02-17
Appointment with Diet/Behav 2011-03-09
Scope 2011-04-29
Education session 2011-05-04
CT Scan 2011-06-02
Appointment with Dr. Yelle 2011-06-28
Appointment with Dr. Klein 2011-08-16
Surgery - Hopefully!
highlandbear
on 3/30/11 12:19 pm - Canada
I am happy to know the problem but missing the race hurts alto. A group of my friends ran and dedicated the race to me.
Barb
sam1am
on 3/30/11 12:08 pm
 I hope you feel better soon, Barb!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Miss Belody
on 3/30/11 4:18 pm - Keswick, Canada

Barb, I just had surgery on March 11th, by Dr. Hong to remove my "Blind Loop" or otherwise known as "Candy Cane Syndrome".  I have been sick since day one with it, but now since my surgery has been done to remove it I am feeling amazing and for the first time can eat without feeling so sick and crappy.  The pain is awful, I feel for you!  Did Dr. Miszra do your surgery originally?  I only ask because that's who did mine and I had my surgery a month after you and I ended up with the same thing you are experiencing now!  To tell you though, after they knew they were going to remove it, they had me in for surgery in less than a week after meeting with Dr. Hong, and he did my surgery...got to go home same day.  The only thing I am missing right now is not being able to run, as I too run now and was training for a 1/2 marathon on May 1st that I won't be able to run now.  Take care, Sarah
  www.missbelody.com-My Website  Current Weight 137, 13 pounds below Target

Most Active
Recent Topics