What is wrong with me?

Rogenia S.
on 4/27/05 4:48 am - Beavercreek, oh
I am 6 1/2 weeks post op. I had the open RYN. I have lost 46lbs and feel pretty good physically. I have been in a weight loss stand still this past week and a half. I am trying not to panic but I worry I am not eating right. I am having trouble eating protien. I drink a shake a day (25 grams of protein). I eat a low fat graham cracker for lunch with a small amount of peanut butter or half a yogurt. For dinner I sometimes skip it or eat just a few bites of something but I am finding I tolerate carbs easier than protien. (I did eat half a piece of pizza last night minus the crust) That can't be good. I am working on getting my water in but only drink about 30 ounces a day. I feel scared that I am messing this up and I just don't know what to do. Maybe I do and I am not making good choices??? I also don't understand why I feel so sad. Any advice?
Kathy_P
on 5/3/05 4:51 am - Woodbridge, VA
Have you talked to your nutritionist/dietician about what your eating? If your having trouble getting in your protein (and who doesn't early out?), this website saved me: i-shophere.biz (just put the www. in front of it). They have soups, cold & hot drinks, puddings, shakes, and tons of other stuff with protein in them! Good luck and keep forging ahead on your journey! Kathy P
Colleen S.
on 8/10/05 7:01 am - Brazil, IN
I am about 7 weeks post op and I feel the same way you do. I wonder if this is normal. I too tolerate carbs better. I TRY to steer away from them but #1 they are more filling so I feel full when I am done and #2 the protein foods get old quickly since it's just all the same things. I haven't had the energy to even excersize yet. I don't get in all my protein either, but I just ordered stuff from unjury.com that I liked so I am hoping that will help out a little. When I eat just protein foods, I don't get that full feeling and I am hungry 2 hours later. Oh, I went through the plateau, and finally broke it. Do you notice that while going through the plataeu that your clothes are getting too big on you? I look at it as a way for your body to catch up w/ all the weight lost. I went 2 weeks w/ out losing anything, then last night I weighed and saw I lost another 10 lbs., but during the plateau, I was fitting into all my old shorts that used to be too small on me. 46 lbs in 6 weeks is awesome. I've only to this day lost 25lbs....tell me about depressing. Well I hope this helps, knowing you're not alone. Colleen
Dawn7656
on 3/19/06 8:39 am - Freeport, IL
Girl !!! You sound exactly like I did a while ago! I was in the same boat. I was so nervous and worried that I was doing something wrong. But, let me tell you.... RELAX... these plateaus are not unusual. I know it's easier said than done but try to put your mind at ease, knowing that this is just your body adjusting to it's new pouch and new eating habits. If anything you're not getting enough calories. Your body is in "storage" mode. It is thinking "dang, she's not feeding me like she use to" so it is hanging on to the calories that it can for now. But, there is no way you won't lose with what you're eating. Try real hard to get in more protein and all of your fluids. Don't be so scared about drinking an ounce or more in one sip. Think how they made you swallow that couple of ounces of barium right after surgery to check for leaks. Liquids will go right on through quickly enough. Just don't GUZZLE. Read the article about satiety on the Nutrition Forum page http://obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/Satiety.html It has a nice explanation and drawing that is helpful in understanding your pouch's way of handling what you put in. The surgery will work for you and you'll get more accustomed to what your body needs. I don't think there's anything wrong with ½ piece of pizza with no crust. Eat what you tolerate, keeping Proteins forward, and carbs in check. My plateau lasted 7 weeks and right after my first month! But it broke when I started getting more than 400 calories in! That's not enough and makes your body hang on to all it's got for dear life. Okay, I've rambled on way too much now, but if you're still nervous and worried you can always e-mail me and we can carry on. Hang in there girlfriend, you're gonna get where you're going! Dawn
Most Active