Issues with Vitamins

kellye71
on 1/12/17 3:01 pm - Lancaster, SC

Is anyone else struggling to take their vitamins regularly?  I had to try various kinds before I could find ones that didn't make me want to throw up every time I took them.   The chewable variety always made me feel sick - I think it was the sweetness of them.  I finally found some that are capsule and tablet form and they don't bother me as long as I take them after I eat.  However, taking them regularly seems to be my biggest problem now.  

I just had my labs redrawn and everything looked good except for the vitamin D, which I've been low with that even before the revision (VSG to RNY in March 2016).  I'm also getting a B12 shot because on my first labs, that result was low, but all better now since my PCP prescribed the monthly injections.

I have a weekly pill box that I can easily divide everything up and I take the stupid things with me to work, but I still find that I either don't take them at all, or take part of them, etc.  I hate taking the damn things to be honest, but I know that I need to.  Any suggestions out there?  Or do I just need to suck it up and make myself do it? 

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

-- African Proverb

hollykim
on 1/12/17 3:04 pm, edited 1/12/17 7:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 12, 2017 at 11:01 PM Pacific Time, kellye71 wrote:

Is anyone else struggling to take their vitamins regularly?  I had to try various kinds before I could find ones that didn't make me want to throw up every time I took them.   The chewable variety always made me feel sick - I think it was the sweetness of them.  I finally found some that are capsule and tablet form and they don't bother me as long as I take them after I eat.  However, taking them regularly seems to be my biggest problem now.  

I just had my labs redrawn and everything looked good except for the vitamin D, which I've been low with that even before the revision (VSG to RNY in March 2016).  I'm also getting a B12 shot because on my first labs, that result was low, but all better now since my PCP prescribed the monthly injections.

I have a weekly pill box that I can easily divide everything up and I take the stupid things with me to work, but I still find that I either don't take them at all, or take part of them, etc.  I hate taking the damn things to be honest, but I know that I need to.  Any suggestions out there?  Or do I just need to suck it up and make myself do it? 

suck it up or www.patchmd.com

pr31
on 1/13/17 6:52 am

Some have set timers on their phone, but that doesn't work for me.  I'm good with them during the week now that I have my routine down, but I still struggle on the weekends when I'm out of my regular routine.  I hope you find a way to get them all in regularly - they are very important.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

landy
on 1/13/17 11:20 am

I haven't had my surgery, yet.  But I have started the program and on my way.  I, too, hate taking vitamins.  I was forgetting in the morning, keeping them in my purse so I wouldn't forget, still forgot. 

Now, I take them with my dinner.  I found that it was the easiest time for me.  And since I put it in the cupboard near the food, I see it as soon as I start to get dinner ready. 

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

Grim_Traveller
on 1/13/17 1:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I've been doing patches for over a year with great results.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

-Flo-
on 1/13/17 4:36 pm
DS on 04/11/16

The patches didn't work for me. I wish they did because I love the idea. For me, I had to make vitamins a priority and create a schedule that works for me.  It was all mental for me.

Cathy H.
on 1/14/17 1:09 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I hear ya, Kellye!  I tried a couple, the chewables were just gross.  I take a one-a-day bariatric vitamin recommended by my program.  It's a capsule, kinda big, but unless you have problems swallowing pills shouldn't be an issue.  A big drink of water, down it goes, and you're done for the day--with vitamins at least.

Best price I've found for them online is Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Multivitamin-Capsule-Gastri c-Surgery/dp/B00JREK09G

I live in a small town so nowhere to buy them locally.  However price is competitive with the maker's own site.

Gest of luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

MsTwinkles
on 1/14/17 6:38 pm
RNY on 01/16/17

My RNY surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday and I am worried about being able to take all the vitamins needed to maintain good health.

Vitamins (whether in chewable or in tablet form) have always made me feel sick to my stomach.  I can literally still taste them (and feel queasy) the following day.

I'm thinking that the vitamins patches might make the most sense for me!

Travelher
on 1/15/17 7:08 am
Revision on 10/04/16

I'm doing the patches too.

Most Active