Severe Anemia, BUT Can't tolerate the Iron

PixieButterfly2005
on 1/4/07 8:42 pm - Eugene, OR
Help!!! First my H&H are so low the doc wants me to take mega doses of Iron, 3 times the normal dosage 3 times a day. I tried doing the first days worth of doses and thought I was going to die from the cramping. So now I'm just trying 2 tabs once a day and still get doubled over with abdominal pain and cramping. I can't take this.
Karyn
on 1/19/07 11:07 pm - Flagstaff, AZ

Two ideas:   Vitalady's Tender Iron pills.  They are truly tender and very helpful to many people.  The site is www.vitalady.com.  That's where I get most of my supplements and protein.   Go to a hemotologist and get iron infusions.  I gave up on iron pills after having issues with anemia and this is what finally has worked for me.  I started out going more often, but now go once every 2-3 months.    Good luck, Karyn

cabin111
on 1/22/07 10:42 am
Hope your taking them with food (no calcium products).  Also eat red meat and spinach, both are high in iron...Brian     
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/07 12:54 pm - Phoenix, AZ
There is another product called Slow Fe.  It is a time released iron and MUCH easier on the GI system.  You can buy it at at large pharmacy such as Walgreens or OSCO.  The side effects are far fewer than plain old iron tablets.
simone51171
on 2/18/07 9:50 am - VA
I usually cannot take iron, but I have found a product called Vitron C, you can get it at Walmart for $14 for 60 pills.  I can take them on an empty stomach with no problems at all.   In the past, other iron pills made me vomit. 
Simone
AngieNYC
on 4/2/07 8:39 am - Brooklyn, NY
Ask your hematologist about Ferrlicit.  It's a 30 minute iron IV, I go in once a week for it.  My hemoglobin was dangerously low and I have been anemic all my life and tried just about every iron out there, my body just doesn't absorb them.  I was about 5 seconds away from a blood transfusion, but I have had 3 so far and I already feel better.
One day at a time, dammit!
katia1973
on 5/20/07 11:14 pm
Lap Band on 01/25/08 with
I have severe anemia as well and had a blood transfusion as well as in my 8th month of IV iron infussions!  Very frusterating but the IV treatments do make me feel better.  Just stay on top of your checkups and have them check your blood regularly. Katia
cole21
on 7/12/07 10:31 am - FL
I had the same problem. Try the bariatric advantage. the chewables. they are easy and taste like sweet tarts.

Most Active