I have a complaint about AMOS

Shrinking W.
on 6/12/04 10:59 pm - Swedesboro, NJ
It has come to my attention that when someone types in my name on google information from AMOS comes up with links and whatever information I gave to AMOS when I originally joined listing the town I live in. I was told to change my name so that this wouldn't happen, however, when I got a digest from a group I belong to this morning my real name showed up instead of my code name. I know a lot of people are really open about their surgery but I like to keep private things private and find it really disconcerting having exposure like this. Unless AMOS is able to change their practices I will be forced to terminate all connection and have my membership permanently erased. I am totally at wits end on this. Why does the world need to know my private life, including where I live? le
Sara G
on 6/20/04 10:18 am - Brentwood, CA
Hi There! Wow, I see what you mean, I went to google and put my name in and there I was! Unfortunately anything that is posted on a website becomes public domain. I saw people in my family on google (even distant cousins I don't even know) on things like church bulletins that are posted on the web, school notices and board meetings, etc. I agree, it is kind of scary and we need to be cautious of the type if information that we make public.
Georgie N.
on 6/20/04 10:24 am - Philadelphia, PA
The scary thing is here we have a site where we can share intimate details and the world gets a chance to read all about it. No wonder people keep the dark secrets to themselves.
Georgie N.
on 6/25/04 11:11 am - Philadelphia, PA
I belong to a lot of groups on Yahoo and not one of them has shown up on google. I joined this group and it showed up on google. I was able to have my profile hidden which apparently corrected the problem after a couple days. Obviously this site is doing something Yahoogroups doesn't. I joined this particular group because of what I experienced in life, however, being safe to share my story here is impossible. Emailing privately is also an evasion of privacy, so I will probably just end my association with this site as apparently Shrinking Woman did. I do think the concept is good but Yahoogroups meets the need just as well AND better than this site with privacy assured. Goodbye!
Georgie N.
on 6/25/04 11:11 am - Philadelphia, PA
I belong to a lot of groups on Yahoo and not one of them has shown up on google. I joined this group and it showed up on google. I was able to have my profile hidden which apparently corrected the problem after a couple days. Obviously this site is doing something Yahoogroups doesn't. I joined this particular group because of what I experienced in life, however, being safe to share my story here is impossible. Emailing privately is also an evasion of privacy, so I will probably just end my association with this site as apparently Shrinking Woman did. I do think the concept is good but Yahoogroups meets the need just as well AND better than this site with privacy assured. Goodbye!
Tiggy B.
on 8/11/04 4:14 am - South Florida, FL
Meep. Welcome to the internet, where nothing is anonymous unless you take HUGE steps to make it so. On the Lap-band board there's some pressure to put up pictures. Guess what, it's not happening. I don't want people to be able to do searches and come up with my smiling face on the screen. --Tiggy
Kricket
on 8/16/04 5:06 pm - St. Paul, MN
Hello Shrinking Woman, I know this was posted quite awhile ago and I just happened to be lurking through other message board forums when I found it. Anything on the internet is public information. ANYTHING. The Internet is just computers linked to computers linked to more computers. If a certain company has the page locked, then that information stayw only w/ them, otherwise.. anything goes. And for Google.. it will take a while for them to updated again so you're not listed w/ them. I once had my name listed on here... then decided to go to a psudenym (excuse the spelling, it's 2 AM here.. other times... I just get by). The city I live in, is a general city. It's not just about staying private, it's about staying safe, like when our parents taught us to look both ways before crossing that busy street. The Internet is one of the busiest and people love to have the challenge of hacking into and messing up your site, just so they said they did it... and love creating those viruses and completely destroying your hard drive, just so they can say they did it. As you have to protect yourself on that busy street and dark alley, the same is true here, on the Internet. I hope by now Google has rewrote/updated it's databases and you're again cleared from them. I don't know how often they do that, but it has nothing to do w/ AMOS, it's all other companies deciding that the Internet is free public information... which in reality, sorry to say, it is. Let me know how it's gone.. if your name has been updated yet. I'm curious is all. Have a great night! Photo Processing Manager
luv2bowljen
on 10/22/04 4:03 am - Lisle, IL
I know how uncomfortable it might make you feel to see that information posted. What really frosts me, though, is seeing family websites on AOL Hometown, where people post their address, pictures of their kids, and details about what they do and when they do it! Worse yet are the school district web sites, where again, first & last names of kids, pictures, addresses, phone numbers, etc. are all posted. We worry when sex offenders move to our neighborhoods, but I am more concerned about the fact that they don't have to live close by anymore to find out intimate details about their prey. Don't even get me started on kids being unsupervised on IMs and Chat Rooms! The internet may be expanding our horizons, but it is also opening our virtual window blinds to the whole world. God bless, and stay safe, Jennifer
finda_nessy
on 7/24/05 6:49 am - Indianapolis (but at college in Evansville), IN
welcome to technology....
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety