Raising my caloric intake

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/07 11:44 pm - Island Heights, NJ
RNY on 01/31/06 with
It's like someone flipped a switch. On Wednesday, I hit my year anniversary and goal... a day later, I started getting much hungrier than I had been in the last year. For the past few months, I've been getting between 1700-2000 cals a day and still losing. I eat something every 2-3 hours - but, in the last week, I've noticed that I've been checking my watch repeatedly... just waiting for the next "feeding". I've checked my daily caloric needs with all of the various online calculators, and taking my high level of physical activity into account, I could get away with about 3200 calories and probably STILL lose. Here's my dilemma... I'm a bit freaked about raising my calories above 2000 per day. I know that it's probably the best thing for me, but, it's tough to wrap my head around it. I'm thinking I'll do it gradually... like adding an average of an extra 100-200 cals each day every week or two until I get to where I want to be - based on hunger, body fat, energy level and weight maintenance. Anyone got any tips or ideas on the matter? I think I've got a handle on it... just looking for opinions from the boys. Be Well, A.J.
SouthJerseyChris
on 2/6/07 12:51 am - Brick, NJ
Dude..you know I have an opinion I found it helpful to add the calories in meals. If you eat every three hours, break it down to just about every two hours and adjust the meals accordingly. Its seems to do a good job 'fooling you'. I also found that it does indeed become easier to eat much more as you increase calories..so beware of calorie creep. Lastly, take measurements before you start increasing. You -will- gain muscle weight as you bump up the calories. Any time you gain weight, check your measurements again. It'll keep you sane. (for example, I've gone up 10lbs since novemeber, but my neck has not gained anything, and my waist has only gone up 1/8th of an inch, suggesting most of that was muscle..) Try not to freak.. like losing the weight, adding calories is a process
Dx E
on 2/6/07 3:16 am - Northern, MS
AJ, Welcome to Long-term Land!! Don't worry, Like everything else, It get easier... Looking at your numbers it does look like you need to up your calories But may I recommend? More Protein, More fiber, and More Poly and particularly Mono Unsaturated fats. The Mono-unsaturated fats keep scrubbing your arteries clean And giving you better and better Cholesterol Levels. The added fat also has the up-side of keeping you full/satisfied Longer!! (http://obesityhelp.com/forums/men/postdetail/49860.html?vc=0 ) Added fiber does the same... Like throwing a bigger log on the fire to keep your Digestive system occupied longer. Many find that upping their Carb intake, Particularly Carbs with a Higher Glycemic Index, just makes them hungry sooner. What worked for me was increasing "Healthy Fats" and getting in more Raw veggies for the fiber. Flaxseed Meal adds both the Super beneficial Alpha-Linolinic Fatty Acids And the fiber. A little half teaspoon of it hides well in many foods. Adjust your diet slowly, and see what works for you. The fact that the timing coincides so closely with your "At Goal," And one year WLS-iversary, suggests that the subconscious May have a touch to do with it as well. Yes? It can be hard to say no to a tempting snack, When that voice in the back of your head is whispering--- "WTF, Your below goal and not getting enough calories anyway!" The 5 or 6 mini-meals a day work well for me. "Your mileage may vary..." Congratulations on beginning Chapter two! Best Wishes- Dx
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/6/07 3:38 am - Japan
A.J., I don't think anyone mentioned "water loading" (or even "shake loading"?). Might want to try that 15-30 minutes before each scheduled feeding. You'll **** like a racehorse, but if you're eating food with any substance, you'll have to eat less. Best Wishes, Dave
Jay from NY
on 2/6/07 12:27 pm - New york, NY
I have been having the same kind of feelings lately, too. I'm am struggling to get in 2,000 cals of healthy food (the bad stuff is easy). It just seems like it's too much. (I never thought that I would be saying that!) I do stay away from the bad choiches, but still fear taking in too many calories over the course of the day. Like you, I have been adding the calories gradually, but lately have been reluctant to go to 2,000 cals. or above. Although I did have a scaled-down version of a full-tilt boogie pig-out on Superbowl Sunday. (I paid dearly for that after the game ) I was beginning to think I was the only guy fearful of eating more. Jay
daniel patrick
on 2/6/07 11:36 pm - Glen Burnie, MD
I know that I still have a messed up system... when it comes to calories. I was generally at about 1000 per day... Still staying at that for the most part....which isn't the best. Sadly though, when I up myself to about 1400.... I gain (and I just won't do it!!!) I am hoping that at the end of the month, I will finally get permission to join a gym...
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 56 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 80 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views