Just got back from Drs

GoingMobile
on 2/5/07 3:07 am - San Dimas, CA
Let the rollercoaster begin. I have been discussing bariatric surgery for almost a year with him, hes been against it since day one. I really think he just has little knowledge of it, so he refrains from embracing it. I had to teach him about Sleep Apnea and Cpap technology as well back in April, now he understands it he way more open to it. Jan 22nd He finally agrees to write the referral for bariatric sugery. We spent Friday playing phone tag. I hated not knowing what he was calling about all weekend. I was at the hosp. to get some blood drawn so I figured I would "pop in" and see what he wanted. Blue Cross will NOT give the referral to USC w/o a pyschiatric evaluation 1st. He asks IF I still want to continue and of course I expected to have one done so I say no big deal, get er done. We sit and wait another week for the eval to be scheduled then who knows after that. I know I should switch Drs but hes a real nice guy, fairly young and is very open to listening to my input and researching whatever topic I bring to him. I have always pretty much self diagnosed and suggested treatments for myself at least with him hes open to it.
Dan_P.
on 2/5/07 4:13 am - Baltimore, MD
Yikes. My primary is a ***** but he recommended me right quick. My advice? Spare his feelings and find someone who will work with you.
Scott William
on 2/5/07 8:30 am
I have to say that I am with DP on this one. I don't think you should have to self diagnose. It is nice that you have the intellegence to do it but should you have to. If you stay, I hope he turns around. Good luck Scott
Chris M.
on 2/5/07 9:48 pm
I agree with Scott and Dan, You have to put yourself first. I have dealt with a couple of Dr.s that in my opinion have no clue and/or are just there to make the buck. It's all about you here. It really does sound as if this Doc hasn't got a clue, it doesn't matter how nice he is. Chris
Dx E
on 2/5/07 10:54 am - Northern, MS
Hey Dan, First, Welcome to the Men's Message Board! (officially!) Now --- It is important to have a Primary Care Physician that you like and trust, But San Dimas? You can't take **** without splashing a few Dr.s. Shop around for someone you like, trust, and who is - "Mister-Keeping-Up-With-ALL-the-New-Stuff!" It is good that he's open to your suggestions, But wouldn't you like to have A Doc who already has the info without having to "be educated" by his patients? Not being up to date on CPAP and Bi-PAP info? That's a little sketchy..... If it were me, I'd invite him to join me at poker night, and become a friend, But I'd get another Doc who's a little more "Full-Service." Couple of things... Has he been documenting your attempts and weight-loss progress During this year of discussions towards WLS? Many Docs do, and most insurance companies require it. I hope he knew that, Or he may have inadvertently added an extra 6 months to your wait. The Psyche Eval? It's easy, and essential. It's a breeze for most everyone. Enjoy the Roller-Coaster!! It's Quite a Ride!!! Best Wishes- Dx
steveh
on 2/5/07 3:03 pm - San Francisco, CA
Hey Dan - Are you with Blue Cross of California? PPO or HMO? I have Blue Cross of California PPO and they were really easy - pretty much as long as I had a BMI over 40 and went to one of their Centers of Excellence it was covered - the rest was up to the bariatric program. The surgery program at UCSF had all their requirements, including the psych eval, but I didn't need any of that for a surgical consult. I know the rules might be different for HMO patients, but, could it be your PCP is confused about that too? Steve
GoingMobile
on 2/5/07 3:45 pm - San Dimas, CA
Steve, I am with Blue Cross of Cali. He sent in the referral request, the said NO, that I needed a psych eval before they would cover the actual surgery. We are waiting for that referral now. I am sure it will be smotth sailing once I get this out of the way. Thanx for the info.
Troy Field
on 2/6/07 1:22 am - Bunker Hill, WV
Dan, I have to agree with my bretheren on this one. What the hell is the sense in having a PCP if you are self-diagnosing? Are you looking for another golfing buddy, or someone who knows his **** to take care of you?(excuse my French) Your doctor should be educating you, not vice-versa. I'm sure there are plenty of nice-guys docs there in Trojan land who do know what is what. Do some research and find one. Just my opinion bro. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Troy
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 56 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 80 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views