Anyone taking Methotrexate?

cpc
on 4/18/11 2:06 am - NJ
 I was told I had lupus,polymaliga rumatica and fibromylagia last year. It has been a year
of hell. I was on prednizone for 8 months which helped and My Band did not do well
with the med. I gained 40lbs. Doc put me on Plaquinel, first 200mg then 400mg.
When she added the 200mg I started itching, so back down to 200mg.
I am in so much pain in my upper thighs, hips and now my upper arms.
She wants to put me on methotrexate has anyone taken this and what are the side effects.
Any help is appreciated.
no_more_rolls
on 4/21/11 9:24 am - Jackson, MI
 I am a pre-op, but have taken methotrexate before...but only for a few months.  I have the SLE (systemic) type of lupus.  When I took it the only thing I noticed was I felt even more fatigued than I normally did and I almost completely lost my desire to eat anything.  How it will affect you after WLS I'm not sure, but I hope that helps a little.
cpc
on 4/21/11 1:23 pm - NJ
Thank you for your reply.
I too have SLE type of lupus.
Did the Dr. put you on the methotrexate for pain?
I am so confused as to if I should take this medication. I don't want to go back on the prednizone.
I read that you can loose you hair from taking it.
Do you follow any type of diet for the lupus. I've been reading up on it and it says that
certain foods can cause the flare ups. I am always in pain, I feel like a cripple when I get up
out of bed or up from sitting and now my upper arms.
I had the band put in 2007 and since finding out last year that I have SLE the band just isn't
the same. MY WL Dr. wants to remove the band and do a Sleeve procedure.
I did great with the band, I had lost 115lbs. and from being on the prednizone for 8months
I gained 40lbs. I am so depressed.

no_more_rolls
on 4/21/11 11:10 pm - Jackson, MI
I know I was put on it during a flare.  I was diagnosed in 2001 after 7 years of mis-diagnosis.  Fortunately for me, my lupus comes and goes now, so I normally only have flares during periods of high stress.  When I do have a flare I am in a lot of pain and feel like I can barely move, let alone even stand up straight.  I have learned to "try" to mentally keep a positive attitude about everything in life, even when it is bad...so my lupus does not flare as severe as it has it in the past.  Don't get me wrong, I still do ache and feel fatigued all the time but nothing like during a major flare like it sounds you are going through now.  

You mentioned hair loss as a concern when taking methotrexate.  I'm not sure if that was one of the side effects or not   but I can tell you lupus patients are more prone to developing alopecia which is hair loss...and I do have a history of alopecia areata (if I spelled that right?)  where you lose hair in little patches.  So that is something to really think about and talk to your doc about if that is a concern.  Perhaps you can add supplements like Calcium, Biotin, Vitamin D or there is another drug alternative?  

My rheumatologist said reducing stress and trying techniques such as yoga, meditation, and massage (which I seldom do any of those) can help some people reduce symptoms.  

I do not follow a special diet for the lupus, however I have heard of people that do.  Diets have not been my friend, even ones to maintain health.  I have yo-yo'd for 20+ years.

On a side note...if you haven't done so already, ask to see an endocrinologist.  Some people, as myself, develop Hashimoto's thyroid due to the lupus...and that will cause weight gain too.  A good endocrinologist, will not only check your TSH labs, but your free T3 and T4 as well as run other thyroid lab panels unlike most traditional doctors.  A common misconception is just because your TSH is normal value you are ok...but I guess there is some formula they use.  Anyways check out the thyroid forums you will see what I mean...cause I'm not sure how to explain it....but that could also be another underlying cause of weight gain.  (and I have seen even in the regular WLS forums some people develop thyroid issues after surgery)

I completely agree with you I hated the idea of being on prednisone.  It made me gain weight and made me feel like I was on an emotional roller coaster ride....angry one moment, crying the next, then lauging about what just happened.

I'm not a doctor, I just know what I have been through with lupus and my health issues.  I have not had WLS (yet).  Two years ago I went through the process for RNY and was denied.  This time around I am hoping things work out and I am able to get the DS.  

I wish I could be more help, but when I didn't see anyone else answer I couldn't leave ya hanging!     

Roxy
cpc
on 4/22/11 1:13 am - NJ
Thanks Roxy:)
Yes when I got sick last year, my thyroid was also low, so I do take synthroid.
It was like a truck hit me last year. After being in the hospital for 5 days and then
following up with all the different doc's. they found thyroid, polymylagia rumatica,
fibromylagia and the lupus.
I was under alot of stress for about two years prior to my diaginois.
They say stress can kill ya.
Thanks again, for the reply.
Have a great week-end.
Colette
tammysue33
on 9/7/11 11:28 am - sanfrancisco, CA
I have had lupus for over ten years .. predizone works good but makes you fat .I have been on Plaquinel for six years, never had the itching but my gums started to get dark almost black spots,they pair it up with methotrexate  didn't make me sick like it dose to most people worked great for about two years,only small flares energy levels were okay .as far as hair loss it helped mine the top of my head was almost bald anyways and helped with the rash on my face some. As for pain if you have lupus I have never found anything to work well on that. after taking so many meds for so many years.I just want to tell you there is no magic pill. A positive attitude healthy diet and roll with the punches is my best advice.
JazzyOne9254
on 10/18/12 3:26 am
I only get methotrexate during severe flares, for a limited amount of time, it's sort of like a prednisone taper.

Why did you have a LapBand with lupus?  That is just begging for an escalation of symptoms with that foreign object in your body. 

I have the DS, but if you don't weant to go the full monty, the sleeve is the top half of my surgery, and from what I'm reading, works very well for lupies.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1755 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2066 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2184 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2963 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4696 views