My struggles with SLE and WLS

Kathy
on 11/15/10 9:27 pm - Hamilton, NJ
Hi everyone,
I am 7 years out from RNY.  I have lost 204 lbs and feel wonderful.  Last year I was diagnosed FINALLY with SLE.  It now explains 30 years of some really weird medical diagnosis'.  I spent most of last year in a flare, it hurt so bad.  In May of this year, doc put me on pred and plaq and I seemed to be doing better.  However, (you know there's always a "however") over the summer I developed a stricture (imagine, this far out, but I also had one two years ago too, actually, I've had quite a few).  I went to a gastro doc who dilated me, perforated my stomach, went back in to fix it and perffed my intestine.  My RNY surgeon was called in and basically I had the RNY re-done, including removing more of my intestine.  Not sure if this is related to the pred or not.  After the intestine thing, I became septic, spent 6 weeks in the hospital with double pneumonia, liver failure, MERSA, kidney failure, on tube feedings, 8 days in a drug induced coma.  I am finally home.  Blood work from last week shows I am in yet another flare, so I am unsure of the pain I am feeling.  Is it from the SLE or all the actual damage my body endured over the last 8 weeks (I've been home for 2 weeks now).  My weight is down to 105 lbs (from 320) and I feel like a newbie, introducing foods every few days.  Does the SLE affect your stomach/digestion too?  Or is this just because they had to re-do everything?  My body is so weak.  I have visiting nurses, physical therapy and a nutritionist who visit 4 times a week.  Anybody have any insight?
Kathy

delta421
on 11/20/10 10:47 am - IL
Hi there! I was diagnosed with SLE about 12 years ago and the reason I initially went to the doctor was because of all the stomach problems I was having. I think it would be hard to determine if it's the SLE or the WLS that is currently causing your problems. What meds do they have you on right now?
Sphinxy
on 2/19/13 2:43 am - Redlands, CA

My, My, My. You have been through a lot. Congratulations on your survival and recovery!!!

After all you have been through - be patient with yourself. The puzzle of lupus is that it can affect any organ.

Did you mean you have lost 105 lbs or weigh 105 lbs? Rest, rest, rest.

B

Kathy
on 11/20/10 8:46 pm - Hamilton, NJ
Thanks for writing back.  Actually I'm on nothing.  Not even depression meds.  They took me off everything (don't think this is a good idea).  The pred and plaq was working quite well, until I got the stricture and everthying went downhill from there.  I take ativan for anxiety (instead of Effexor XR)
Nexium, some kind of anti nausea, Trazadone at night for sleep.  I am a big mess inside.  They say my anti depression drugs eat away at my liver and since I was in liver failure this was not good.  Also, blood work from last week shows I am most likely in another Lupus flare.  I forgot to mention that I also was diagnosed with Scleraderma.  
Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1755 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2066 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2184 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2963 views
Test