Day three after VSG surgery and I'm doing GREAT

Robin S.
on 5/10/10 10:51 am - Chatsworth, CA
so I was a tad bit worried that my lupus may cause problems with surgery but alas, none!   My Rheumatologist had me redo one of my test prior as it was running higher than normal but it had dropped a few points by the next week so he OKed me for surgery.

In my preop blood work my PCP found I'm low on D and K so I'm taking them now.

My surgery was a breeze, no pain, hardly any gas, I only gained 2 lbs from surgery and I'm not having trouble getting in my liquids.   I almost think they did not do surgery but for the holes and staples in my belly.  LOL   

I'm walking and just doing really well.   since I'm on 7 mg of prednisone daily, they gave me an extra shot of it during my anesthesia bliss (by the way which I woke up from with wide open eyes and a smile).

I can't wait to see what the future holds for me.
I'm Just Robin!
Highest weight 250 - Goal Weight 150 - Current Weight 147
*** Hanging with Weight Watchers now to keep on track ***  
8784mari
on 5/11/10 3:15 am
 thats great that ur surery went well. I just left the hospital today. I had some problems with gases, nausea and my xray since i was a bit swollen but  im good now.happy everything went well for you.
Renee B.
on 5/19/10 11:29 am
Whoa! I had no idea you also had Lupus! I have had that diagnosis for about 15 years or so.  I just wanted to say hello!
HW282 SW272 CW170 GW150 "I am allergic to carbs. They make me break out in fat.    

Robin S.
on 5/19/10 2:35 pm - Chatsworth, CA
I was diagnosed in 1995 myself.   I had every single textbook indication and my doc was brand new MD and no freaking clue what I had.   The dermatologist diagnosed me within seconds of seeing me.   Of course, then I read up on it and smacked my forehead and said OF COURSE!    

I'm continuing to do really well with my weight loss and feeling good in general.  Getting in all my vitamins, liquids (most of the time) and I've been able to eat real food again.    When one small meatball is a meal or you measure out 1 ounce of tuna fish and you can't eat it all ... well, I never thought I'd see that day for sure!!!  

for any of you other Lupus Patients out there - do your research, check with your docs, and go for it.
I'm Just Robin!
Marena G.
on 3/16/12 5:32 am - LA
VSG on 07/16/12
Hi Robin I hope that you still get on here once in a while. I have had Lupus for the last 15 years.  I almost didn't make it many of times through my Lupies Journey. It causes my body to have hemolytic anemia. I am having the sleeve in July and I am scared like crazy.  I found this website and it is wonderful!!! I was just trying to find someome to relate with.  If you read this by any chance please let me know how you are doing and how has your surgery progress going?

Marena
Robin S.
on 3/16/12 10:35 am - Chatsworth, CA
Hi!   I dont' come on very often anymore.  LOL  Guess I'm too busy out living lfe and pretty much under control and now use Weigh****chers as my support vs on line

I'm two years post op in May and have kept to my goal of 150.   My Lupus has never officially flared since surgery but my test are never good and doc did mention last time he might consider one of the new supressive drugs if my numbers did not go down soon.  BUT - I have NO symptoms so I tell him as long as I'm functioning I don't care much about the stinking blood tests!  

I've never had one iota of a problem.   That is not to say the entire thing did not take some getting used to  I had my share of barfing after eating too much a few (about 10 - 14) times over the last two years.    I look back and read some of the things people ask and wonder how we all made it thru the anxiety around gettin gthe surgery.  

My anemia actually went away believe it or not.   And I was anemic prior to surgery.  Perhaps I'm actually eating better now?    I'll be sure to check back and answer any questions you have.     Don't be frightened.   this has been the best thign I've ever done.   
I'm Just Robin!
Robin S.
on 3/16/12 10:39 am - Chatsworth, CA

val - the first week or two I crushed and I've still never been off my lovel prednisone but lucky for me I'[m only on 10 mg a day and the pills are small.   the liquid thing was easy for me and it did take me awhile to get used to small portions without eating too much!   I had absolutely NO problem loosing my 100 lbs at all.   I think I was at goal by 9-10 months.    I had a very slight stall and got to as low as 144 but that is just thin for me so I'm back at 150 and have no issue with any food or drink (still have some wine or a martini from time to time as well as some dessert).

The way of life is real tho so you have to remember you will always need to keep an eye on what you eat but for me - being thin is easier to remember and I love my size 6-8 vs 18-20.    good luck and you will do fine I'm sure.
I'm Just Robin!
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/12 1:13 pm
 Howdy,

What led me to weight loss surgey? The vicious cycle of steroids and poor eating habits. I just started my new journey towards a better me and hopefully better control of my Lupus.  I have yet met with the surgeon but have read and research him.

My objective with this form is to gain insight from others and share my journey with others, especially with fellow Lupus peers.

HB
Marena G.
on 4/16/12 8:13 pm - LA
VSG on 07/16/12
Hi Honeybuns,  I too have Lupus.  I am so glad to see someone else here with Lupus.  My surgery is scheduled for July and I am a little nervous.  I have not met with the surgeon yet,  I have done all of my pre op testing and consults.  I have one more with the dietitian and then I begin to se him.  I have a million questions for him.  My Lupus doctor is the one that suggested the surgery because of my the steroids and diabetes the steroids worsen.  She said she sometimes can't figure out if some of my symptos are from flares or the diabetes and/or weight.  Please keep me posted on how you are doing.  Praying for both of us to come out great from this and into our new journey.

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/12 2:48 am, edited 4/17/12 2:48 am
 Hi Nena,

I too am grateful, that I have found someone in the same boat. I have develop high blood pressure from first stage kidney disease and I am certain my weight has something to do with it as well. I nearly died this past September from organs shut down. Fortuntely, IV therapy steroids and chemothearpy is what brought me back to functioning. 

I will gladly, share and support you with this journey we both on. 

HB
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1755 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2066 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2184 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2963 views
Test