I have SLE and nervous about which kind of procedure to have done

hamptons11937
on 3/10/10 10:11 pm - East Hampton, NY
Good morning all.  
I have Systemic Lupus among a myriad of other syndromes such as Fibromyalgia, Sjogren's Syndrome, Thyroid Disease, Connective Tissue Disorder... the list goes on.  
Due to medications, mainly Prednisone, depression after a loss in my family, and not so great eating habits, I've put on about 130 lbs. in the past year.  I've tried diet and exercise, but now, pushing 300 lbs., it's difficult to exercise... heck, it's difficult to do most things.
From this website alone, it seems like the Gastric Sleeve is the best choice for me (also given my high BMI).  I'd be most grateful to anyone with Lupus who has had weight loss surgery and your experience, or is thinking about it.
Thank you. 

Kim                 
lilredturtle
on 3/13/10 10:35 am
I have been wondering the same thing and I am sad that no one has posted anything yet, my dr said to get the RNY, but I want to ask more about the DS
M
hamptons11937
on 3/26/10 10:27 pm - East Hampton, NY
 From my understanding, the procedure has more to do with your BMI than not.  For me, everyone, nearly everyone on the boards said I'd be crazy to get a lapband.  The more I looked into it's complications, the more I realized how right they were.  
I'm having the Vertical Gastric Sleeve in two weeks and am very excited about it.  My BMI is nearly 50, and through my research I heard this would be a good procedure for me to have.  With higher BMI's, the DS and Gastric Bypass would probably be a better option.
With Lupus, as you know, it's nearly impossible to tell how our bodies will react.  We can only do a ton of research and pray for a good outcome.  I would look more into the individual WLS's and see which one suits you best, first.
These boards are filled with information.  Keep asking your questions.  Don't give up. 
 Kim                 
Daisy S.
on 4/6/10 10:10 am - Spokane, WA
I'am on Medicare and my doctors office said that they have never had approval for a sleeve done, the doctor says that is what he suggests would be the best way to go.  Are you on a private insurance or Medicare.  Thank you so much...
JazzyOne9254
on 10/18/12 2:08 am

When I had my surgery, the only two WLS that Medicare covered were RNY and DS.  Period.

I had the DS on 2/25/09, as a key piece of my plan to get off SS Disability!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

muchi909
on 3/26/10 5:12 pm
Hello....

I just completed my classes on March 4th.   My appointment has been scheduled with the Surgeon on March 17th.  I will be asking lots of questions and keep you posted. I have SLE, Rheumotoid Arthritis, Osteo Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and Sjogren's Syndrome.  I am hoping I can still get surgery.
hamptons11937
on 3/26/10 10:28 pm - East Hampton, NY
 What surgery are you hoping to get?
 Kim                 
JazzyOne9254
on 10/18/12 2:09 am

Which surgery are you getting?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Renee B.
on 3/27/10 10:34 am
Hi All,
I also have Lupus and I am flaring right now, I think due to all of the stress I have been under arranging to make it to my out of town WLS conference.  I also am a collector of other conditions including asthma, fibromyalgia, U Colitis, etc.  I gained 80 of my lbs being on prednisone high dose for a year.  I have not ever been normally sized since I was on prednisone 9 years ago. 
I am hoping to have the VSG also.  It seems the best option.  I will need to keep taking NSAIDS and would no longer be able to do that with the RNY.  My BMI bounces around 45-46, so the lap band seems to be a poor choice for me and I can only imagine the antibodies
I would make toward the band!!!

It would be great to keep in touch with other Lupus VSGers!
My first appointment is in 1 week and then I am hoping the surgery will follow shortly after. My insurance company seems okay with it unofficially.  The part that will be the hardest for me is really just gathering the multitude of medical records I will need for the first appointment.  I have never kept good records and have to call the 10 million or so doctors I have seen over the years and request transcripts. 
I am going to go make some hot tea and try not to stress out and flare more!!:)
Nice to  Know You,
Renee
lybbenjamin
on 4/19/10 12:56 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis (an autoimmune disease similar to Lupus) 18 yrs ago.  Unfortunately the only treatment that works for me when I have flare ups is Prednisone.  It has several side effects, but the one that bothers me the most is the weight gain.  I have tried many things but have been unsuccessful.

I finally have decided that weight loss surgery is the best option.  However, I have concerns about which surgery would best.  I feel lapband would be least invasive but concerned that since it is a foreign object my immune system will attack it and erode, damage, or corrupt lapband causing complications.  The other options seem more invasive and I worry about slow wound healing.

I would appreciate information from anyone with Lupus or Sarcoidosis. Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1754 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2066 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2184 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2963 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4696 views