Question about infections

Jeane
on 8/17/09 8:39 am
 I have heard that having lupus makes you more prone to infection.   My question, which I have not been able to adequately answer, is how can that be?   With autoimmune disease, we have an overactive immune response not underactive.

I'm still trying to figure that out.

talksoupslp
on 8/20/09 12:37 am
I think it's "certain infections".  For example, if you have the dry muscus membranes (associated with lupus and for those of us who have a secondary diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome it's a double whammy) you tend to be more suseptible to sinus infections.  At least I am! 

Or you could think about it like this...my immume system is so overactive and busy attacking things it's not supposed to, when something it is supposed to attach comes around it's too busy to fight.

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
kellyanne
on 1/6/10 7:57 am - Lumberton, NJ
I don't think its the disease itself that makes you prone to infections,,,its usually the treatment.  I don't have Lupus,  I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Mixed Connective tissue disorder.  All of my medications are meant to slow down the disease by slowing down immune function.  This is the first winter that I have been plagued by one infection after another..I am in constant flair and I am constantly ill....It's driving me insane.

Right now all my joints are swollen, my skin is a mess with psoriasis lesions and I can't get rid of the same damn sore throat ..even through three courses of antibiotics. Oh well just another day in the life of those with autoimmune challenges
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1754 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2066 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2184 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2963 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4696 views