Lupus and chlorophyll (bathroom issue)

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/09 10:03 am

Earlier today, I was overjoyed that I could order DEVROM from my local Walgreen's.

Just for clarity's sake, DSer's can have very foul-smelling BM's , and DEVROM is an internal deodorant that takes the stink out.  It's not for everyday use, but I would like to use it, for instance, when I go to do my workout at the warm water therapy pool.  There's something about exercise that works any type of gas you might have to the surface, and I don't want to clear the women's locker room!   

Well, Walgreen's screwed up, and I don't have my DEVROM today.  They promised it would be in by tomorrow, but in the meantime, I went to a couple health food stores to check out using chlorophyll, which is WAY cheaper.   I've seen on other boards where folks were using it, but when I read the labels, the source of the chlorophyll was alfalfa.

Many of us lupies have been warned against eating alfalfa sprouts because they can trigger flares.  I stopped eating them on my salads years ago, and I don't eat sprouts of ANY kind, just to be on the safe side.

Is anyone using chlorophyll safely to solve their bathroom issues?  I know this is a YMMV issue, but I'm just curious. 

I'd hate to take something to try to do myself some good, and end up in the hospital with a bolus of steroids!
~Truffles~
on 8/3/09 8:05 am - VA
Sorry I don't have an answer to your inquiry.

I am just surprised about the alfalfa sprouts! I have never been told this, but it does make sense. I tend to overload them on salads...never again!!

Thanks a bunch.

Renee

BTW, almost 2 months later, did the chlorophyll work? I'm a pre-op Dser and would love to know just in case for the future.

Thanks again.
Jeane
on 8/8/09 10:30 am
 Alfalfa sprouts - weird...
I can't even yet think about salads.  But one day down the road...

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/10 1:15 pm
Truffles-

I NEVER used chlorophyll!

Get the book "Living With Lupus".  Alfalfa Sprouts are the primary source of Chlorophyll, and according to the book, have been proven to trigger lupus flares! 

DEVROM works great!  It will turn your stools black, just like Pepto-Bismol does.  I looked it up, and the active ingredient in DEVROM is a bismuth, in the same chemical family as Pepto-Bismol.

I'm going to try Pepto to see if I get the same deodorizing result, if I do, I'll let y'all know!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1754 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2066 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2184 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2963 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4696 views