why I hate the band!

roseygirl
on 8/9/14 1:00 pm
  1. Can't swallow protein even with total unfill.
  2. Throwing up
  3. Sliming
  4. Only losing 20 lbs
  5. 1st bite pukes and then 0 restriction (meaning could eat any portion after puking up the first bite I got stuck on)
  6. Sweets and softies (potatoes, heavy sauced foods, cookies, ice creams) went down like a charm.
  7. Gas pains in my shoulder even months after surgery.
  8. Never feeling tummy satisfied only "full" in the chest.

Band put in 2008

Complete unfill 2010

Removal 2012

I have been shamed before but talking negatively about the band but the fact is it doesn't work for everyone. In fact the Mayo Clinic has deemed it so unsuccessful that they no longer perform the band. I just met with the surgical team there last week to discuss the Sleeve.

vlp1968
on 8/9/14 10:46 pm

I don't think there is any shame is expressing dissatisfaction with the band.  I am a dissatisfied customer as well.  Although I lost all my weight (107 pounds) after surgery, the band was not the tool I hoped it to be.  I was either too tight or too loose most of the time.  There were weeks here and there I was in a good place.  After having a couple unfills my band is very loose.  I can eat just about anything, especially later in the day.  Doughy things and dry meat still give me problems.  I am glad to say I have had no complications with the band.  If I could do it over, I wouldn't have the surgery that's for sure.  I gained significant weight back, and have since lost 25 pounds of that weight since January.  Slow I know, but going in the right direction.  I am hungry a lot of the time when I am eating according to my plan.  I asked my PCP about a drug to help with my appetite, he said no.  I have high blood pressure, so no stimulants.  I have Bipolar so nothing that could affect my mood.  Uggg, guess I just have to bite the bullet.  It crosses my mind to have a revision, I would probably get the sleeve, but I am not so sure that's the right path for me.  Thanks for reading.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/10/14 12:37 am - UK

I very much doubt you will get shamed on here! I am a totally contented and very happily banded person (since 2006) but would never deny it does not work for everyone.

if your band is totally empty and you are still having issues, than the only remedy is emoval and, if you want it, revision.

My best wishes with whatever you do. But do note that you can eat cakes, cookies, sauces with all weight loss surgeries! Some bypassed people dump with sugary things but only about 30-40% do. So if you choose another surgery, you will still have to exercise will power if those things are your problem area.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 8/10/14 2:17 am

Are you feeling better since band removal, I hope?  Do you still have any left shoulder pain? I still get it even years and years after band removal due to the damage. Good luck with the sleeve, should you opt to have it done. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

roseygirl
on 8/10/14 2:27 am

Getting the band out gave immediate relief. Unfortunately have gained 20lbs and am at pre surgery weight and out $8000 as a self pay. Ahhh lessons learned. I just want potential bandsters to know that the band may not be a good idea. I thought I was a minority failure until I heard the head of bariatric surgery at Mayo Clinic say band problems are so common they won't do them anymore.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/10/14 7:14 pm - UK

Sorry! Missed the band removal bit!!  So missed the point of your post! Apologies!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active