Has anyone personally used the 5 day pouch test?

kimkimmie
on 10/7/13 4:12 am - Jacksonville, FL

I'm just curious. I just started today. I am hoping to get that newly banded feeling back... or as close to it as I can possibly get. Starting back on the low carb diet my surgeon swears by for Lap Band patients but wondering if it is beneficial to do the 5 day pouch test first?? Any comments will be helpful. Thank you in advance :)

~Kim 

***I was at 27 pounds lost on the day of surgery -- the loss shown on ticker includes my pre-op weight loss***
kimkimmie
on 10/7/13 5:32 am - Jacksonville, FL

What's 5 days... I'll give it a try and come report back. I know other's that have started to regain years after being banded so I'll take one for the team and let ya'll know if it works :)  (I say only 5 days in jest... I'm already ready to eat my arm... )

~Kim 

***I was at 27 pounds lost on the day of surgery -- the loss shown on ticker includes my pre-op weight loss***
kathkeb
on 10/7/13 6:24 am

Kim, I also allow myself some higher fat items .. Like nuts and cheese .. While I detox from carbs

I think the fat keeps me feeling satisfied and able to resist the sugars

Kath

kimkimmie
on 10/9/13 2:20 am - Jacksonville, FL
On October 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM Pacific Time, kathkeb wrote:

Kim, I also allow myself some higher fat items .. Like nuts and cheese .. While I detox from carbs

I think the fat keeps me feeling satisfied and able to resist the sugars

I agree... fats in small amounts can be a great replacement in the satisfaction dept for sugars!! Thanks for reminding me!!!! :)

~Kim 

kathkeb
on 10/7/13 6:22 am

I do my own little pouch test.

i basically clear out the carbs and crap food and go back to my original band diet, where I eat lean, solid protein and produce for 2 meals, Greek yogurt for breakfast and 2 small snacks a day.

I do that for about 5 days and if I am not able to be satisfied on that, I go in for a fill.

it takes a good 3 days to get the carbs out of my system .... Then a few days to be honest with myself about whether I have a good fill level.

good luck!!!

Kath

kimkimmie
on 10/9/13 1:10 am - Jacksonville, FL

Thank you!!! Sounds like a great plan!! :) So far this is working for me. Thank God.

I am getting my head back to where it once was. I was out of control with my eating and making excuses to myself and justifying everything.

~Kim 

pineview01
on 10/8/13 10:40 am - Davison, MI

I thought the 5 day was for RNY to try to shrink the pouch.

I do eliminate carbs when I am trying to get back on track.  My problem was I couldn't eat solid protein.  It is hard to do carb free when you can't eat solid protein.

I am going thru a carb purge right know as I got off track while the DH was getting his knee replaced.  I packed a lunch so I wouldn't but, three days and no sleep and another week on very little sleep and dealing with a patient having issues didn't help.  I have been getting more sleep and he is getting a little better so, trying to kill the carb monster.

Let us know how it goes.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kimkimmie
on 10/9/13 2:10 am - Jacksonville, FL

I think it is more for them from some of my research, but Lap Band people have reported success on various sites so I thought I would try it :) So far I am happy with my decision. The 2 days of liquids were tough, but I kept telling myself it was just for 2 days.  Today is my day 3 and I get soft protein (15 minutes to eat and no drinks 30 min before or after.) I have to say the deprivation of food for 2 days helped me appreciate the simple flavor of the eggs. So much of this is mental for me. I had some hunger during the liquid days but today I am good. I had 3 eggs over medium and 1 string cheese for breakfast, and I just had a snack of 2 hard boiled eggs and another string cheese. in 2-3 hours I will have some tuna salad I made for lunch. Then dinner I haven't decided yet. Maybe blackened Tilapia :)

Hope your DH feels better fast! You can beat the carb monster and so can I. We need the dryer more uncomfy proteins to make our band work properly, at least I do :) When the foods are super comfy and amazing I really overdo and get caught up in same trap that led to my getting the band in the first place.

Have a great day!!

Kim

~Kim 

pineview01
on 10/9/13 12:42 pm - Davison, MI

I am on day two of breaking the cycle and have turned the gain back to a loss.  Good luck with getting thru the 5 day pouch test and back on track.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kimkimmie
on 10/9/13 9:00 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Good luck to you!! You got this I know. Switching from gain to loss is powerful!! I'm starting day 4. I bought the keto sticks to test to see if I'm in ketosis and it turned to moderate purple today so that means I got rid of the carbs and my body is burning protein & stored fat made a motivational impact seeing that. Have a great day!!
~Kim 

Most Active