Nearly 6 years out, may be time to unband.

krinannie
on 8/27/13 8:34 am - Vegas, BABY! And in a smaller Human Suit, NV

So. I am forever grateful for my lapband. At 320 pounds and an awful back, I was nearly crippled in my 40's. I never lost a ton....only about 60-70 pounds. I still have 80 to go. But it was enough to get me out of the house and hiking, kayaking, biking again. I even trekked to Mt. Everest Base Camp last year and am planning Machu Picchu next year. I am living a far different life than I was. But I am unfilled...have been a couple years...and stil cannot keep down proteins and veggies like I need to. I do not eat grains and other simple carbs. I eat protein fruit, veggies and seeds and nuts. Some dairy as well. No sugar. No artificial sweetners either. But now, with my workout schedule, I cannot eat enough protein to fuel my body. I have an appointment Tuesday to talk to the doc about removal. I throw up nearly daily and aspirate a lot at night. I can eat an egg and sausage in teh AM and it will still be there at 5 or 6 at night. I know the rules. I chew chew chew, only small bites yada yada yada...but it still happens. My biggest fear is the aspiration at night. It is more frequent as time goes on. Today I had some brisket for lunch. It is all I could get in. And now it is just sitting there having done nothing to move through aver 3 hours later. I have a workout tonight and it may be difficult because the effort will make me throw up. I didn't get the band to simply lose weight...I got it to lose weight so I could do more. Now that I am doing more and nee more fuel...good whole foods, I cannot eat the needed proteins and veggies. :(

Pcefrog
on 8/27/13 10:58 am

Understand completely. You have a great attitude and you know your body and what is best for you.  Take care and trust yourself.

Stephanie M.
on 8/27/13 11:16 am

You echo my feelings exactly...I lost 100 lb with the band and the complications.  Mine was removed because I had so much scar tissue around my esophagus and upper stomach, I couldn't eat or drink consistently.  I am thankful for the loss, but am sad that I cannot revise because of the damage...but so far, so good...just a little 4 lb up and down.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Nic M
on 8/27/13 12:55 pm

Sorry to hear you're going through what most of us have gone through. I hope you can get the band out and feel much better really soon.

Hope you're able to go to Machu Picchu. My sister and her husband went there on their honeymoon and loved it. 

Good luck to you.  I think you'll feel a lot better after the band is removed. 

Hislady
on 8/27/13 1:09 pm - Vancouver, WA

Hey Krinannie, I remember you!!! My band is empty too for a couple of years but so far it it isn't causing any problems since then. It is very dangerous to be throwing up all the time especially at night. You do need to get it out soon if that is a daily thing, really hard on the esophagus and stomach. Hope it all goes smoothly for you let us know how it turns out.

Jean M.
on 8/27/13 9:15 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

Hey, Nanner, it's great to hear from you again, but I'm sorry it's because you're having problems. If the problems have continued even with no fill in your band, I agree that it's time to remove your band. Have you considered revising to a different WLS procedure?

Jean

P.S. only about 60-70 pounds?

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

krinannie
on 8/28/13 12:11 am - Vegas, BABY! And in a smaller Human Suit, NV

I am not going to revise. I am working out so hard that tiny meals don't work. I eat a paleo diet and have great personal trainers and a gym in my garage. My lifestyle is so different and I have eliminated the addictive foods so I am confident that I can work hard and fight to keep my health. But if I have another procedure, I just am not able to get in the quantity of meat that I need. And I never wanted any procedure to actually take anything out or replumb anything. I am good though and would never regret what the band did so I could get back to an active lifestyle!

JudyAz
on 8/28/13 2:30 am - FL

I feel the same as you. Not interested in any revision.  I am back after a 40 lb gain. Getting eating under control...back to exercise...I have done a lot of reading and am cranking up my exercise and adding some interval training. Got to boost my metabolism after going off the wagon.  Each day I am feeling better and better. I Good luck with your journey!

cheynne03
on 8/28/13 2:59 am - West Monroe, LA
Krin, I am right where you are. I have been working out doing bootcamp for the last year and eating mainly clean diet and trying to consume adequate amounts of protein. I just recently had all but 2 cc's removed from my band so that I could increase my diet to accommodate the working out. I am fortunately not having any problems from my band, and I always kept a low fill level because of all the problems others were having from being too tight. I was going to have all my fill removed but my doctor convinced me to keep a little and so far what I have works. I can eat just about anything without any problems. Exercise was the key all along, I was just too big to do it before. The band got me to where I can move and now I do.

Theresa
rachel1217
on 8/28/13 5:17 am - Chamberlain, SD

I was in a very similar situation as you - I had nothing left in my band and was still only able to eat mush and liquids. I threw up all the time and aspirated a lot at night... this kept up for about 18 months until one day I could no longer get fluids down. I ended up being taken in for emergency surgery and had to have everything removed (band, tubing and port) Turns out the band had twisted and cut off the blood supply to the top of my stomach, I was in a lot of danger and was very lucky to have gotten to the doctor when I did (I live 2+ hours from any decent hospital). Don't take these symptoms you are having lightly. I now have so much scar tissue from the band that I still can not eat any breads, pastas, meats or anything that is dry. 

Most Active