strange symptoms

jennylew
on 12/28/11 11:09 am, edited 12/27/11 11:12 pm - Hill AFB, UT
Hi all!
Need some advice. For about a month now I've been feeling very strange. Light headed, small headaches and just not feeling well. I'm drinking plenty of water so I don't think it's dehydration. Thought maybe it was my sinuses, but sinus medication isn't touching it, besides, I'm not having any other sinus symptoms. I take a multi every day and 1000 mg. of calcium per my surgeon. Do you think I should call my Weight loss center and possibly run a blood panel to check for any vitamin deficiencies or something? I had my one year panel in August and everything was in normal range. This is a daily thing and it lasts all day long. Any advice?

Jen-

Starting weight- 265     Goal weight- 165-145 
dianeg49
on 12/28/11 1:11 pm
Do you have blood pressure issues? Sometimes I feel like that when my blood pressure is too high. You should follow up with atleast your primary doctor.
Dianeg49            
Jean M.
on 12/28/11 11:14 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Jen,

Only a doctor can diagnose what's causing those symptoms. It probably has nothing to do with your band. In addition to sinus problems and blood pressure, those symptoms could also be related to your blood glucose levels. I think your idea of getting some blood tests (not just for vitamin deficiencies but all the health indicators) is the best thing to do next.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Easternshoregrl
on 12/29/11 1:20 am - MD
I agree with a full blood panel. Make sure you are eating your protein.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

steelerfan1
on 12/29/11 1:39 am
I agree get some blood work done and are you eating enough carbs ? That can cause you to be light headed especially if you are doing alot of exercise. I kept my carbs way to low and was having the same problems as you and had to up my carbs . Not eating enough carbs and natural sugars can cause your blood pressure to become to low also .
Nic M
on 12/29/11 2:33 am

Vasovagal syncope

Vasovagal syncope is a common cause of dizziness, lightheadedness, and fainting. The vagus nerve is overstimulated and causes the body's blood vessels to dilate and the heart to slow down.

Vagus nerves in relation to the stomach:

The   Vagus nerves run through this whole area... the band is ALSO in this area.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-vagus-nerve.htm

This is one possibility, JennyLew.  The band really affects the Vagus nerve system... causing all types of issues- minor to severe.

Have you gotten checked lately to see if your band is in the correct position, by any chance?

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 6:36 am - Fort Worth, TX
Yes, have blood work done. I had the same symptoms and my iron was very low. I was put on iron tablets now my iron level is up and i am feeling much better. take care.

jennylew
on 12/29/11 9:14 am - Hill AFB, UT
I thought of that, but my multi says it has 100% of my daily recommended allowance of iron so I dismissed the idea. When you were diagnosed with low iron, were you taking a multivitamin? Just curious 'cause I'll ask the doc to check for that when I go in next week. Can you let me know? Thanks!

Starting weight- 265     Goal weight- 165-145 
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 10:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Yes, i was taking a multivitamin, i sounded just like you. I got to the point where i just tired all the time, would get light headed. I was diagnosed with low iron about a year ago. It has taken a while to get my iron levels back where they are supposed to be, but i am much better now and feeling normal. I think with this band and eating so little it is just hard to get the recommended iron in. My doctor told me to get total cereal and eat a bowl of that a day. I just measure out a serving and eat it dry, just snacking on it off and on during the day. Still taking iron pills, but those are evil, very constipating Hope you feel back to normal soon. Let us know when you find out.
Nic M
on 12/30/11 1:03 am
I'm telling ya... it's very likely to be from the vagus nerves.

A friend of mine is having a revision from lapband to RnY this week had very similar symptoms... lightheaded and dizzy all the time.  I had the same thing (and my diaphragm was damaged) and if you Google "Vagus nerves" you'll find out how many things that nerve system affects.

If you say that your blood panel was in normal range, you need to probably discount a vitamin deficiency as the cause.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active