How often do you weigh yourself?

angishoell
on 7/27/11 11:42 am - UT
Just wondering how often I should weigh myself or how often you do?  I am wanting to weigh myself everyday.  I know it isn't good to weigh myself everyday, but I have this burning craving to.  Sometimes more than once a day.  What has worked for you?  Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Angi

debbie H.
on 7/27/11 12:14 pm - AR
I hear your best bet is once a week, same time.  But I can't quite make myself do that so I weigh 2ce a week. Once after the weekend, and once after all my Zumba classes for the week.  Fluctuations can mess with your mind if you weigh too often.  Especially if you know you're doing all the right things and water retention causes a wt. gain.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

looking4hope
on 7/27/11 12:51 pm
I know I shouldn't but I am still weighing myself 2 times a day. I hope to stop obsessing and go back to once a week.
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Kate -True Brit
on 7/27/11 8:08 pm - UK
Every time I pass the scales!

Absolutely fine as long as it does not affect you mentally. I am able to read the numbers and just think "how great" or "silly cow", depending on what it says. I only take real notice once a week. And even then, I don't freak out if I don't like the number!

Bu if it affects you, weigh less often.

There is no right answer!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

vlp1968
on 7/27/11 8:24 pm
When I was loosing I weighed in once a week and recorded it. I felt like the natural flucuations would drive me crazy. However, since I am maintaining I weigh myself everyday. I try to stay within a 3 pound range. I am a little obsessed, but overall it is working.
Lisaizme
on 7/27/11 9:25 pm - TX
I weigh daily and sometimes more than 1x a day.

I RECORD the weight once a week.

I have natural fluctuation**** a low, then climb back up, then hit somewhere between the new low and the most recent high and stay a while..days, weeks.. then hit a new low.. and the cycle starts over.

Like the others said.. if it plays with your head to see the fluctuations.. only weigh weekly.  If you can deal with the fact that your weight is probably not going to be constantly on a downward motion... weigh as often as you like.  :)
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Jean M.
on 7/27/11 10:17 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Angi,

I weigh myself once a day - first thing in the morning - but at times I've had to restrict the weigh-ins to once a week because the scale was messing with my head. It's amazing how that stupid scale - one of the smallest gadgets in a house full of major appliances, 2 computers, 9 dogs, 4 cats, and 2 humans can manage to boss me around.

But I feel like I need to be vigilant about my weight, because the pounds can pile back on faster than the speed of ice cream going into my mouth.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

juliebeth
on 7/28/11 12:09 am
I weigh myself every day but like the woman above, I only record the number once a week, the same day every week. I've been maintaining my weight for over a year and it helps me catch little weigh gains. Like Jean, my weight can balloon so quickly! Before WLS, I gained 35 lbs in 5 months! So, I definitely like to keep an eye on the scales. If it goes up higher than the normal fluctuations, I'm re-motivated to exercise and eat right.

Even when I was losing, though, I weighed every day and had to remind myself not to let the fluctuations mess with me. It helped if I didn't use the scale as my only measure of success. Clothes fitting better (or becoming too loose), being able to do things I couldn't before, fitting into seats better, etc, all helped me realize my weight loss even better than the scales sometimes.
Phyllis T.
on 7/28/11 12:17 am - Las Vegas, NV
Like Jean M, I weigh once a day, 2nd thing in the morning (you can guess what's 1st!).  I have been maintaining since March 2010.  Weight gain is very easy for me - it's a slippery slope, so I want to be very aware of even an extra pound!  When I was in weight loss mode I also weighed once a day, but always looked back in my journal for my weight a week prior and a month prior, which helped when I had the inevitable stalls (longest stall was about 2 weeks).

Phyllis

grannymedic1
on 7/28/11 12:28 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I don't weigh daily, but frequently do. I would not do more than once a day. Again, you have to expect fluctuations.  When I was losing weight I would log it every week. During that time I could see a gain for a few days in a row, then by the end of the week a good drop to below what it was the previous week. If there was a stall for a week or so I knew it was no big deal because as long as I was following the rules it would break sooner or later. Usually during those times I would drop inches or sizes. To me that was even better!

Whatever you do be sure not to allow yourself to obsess.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Most Active