Horizon BCBS of NJ Approval/denial time

Cards44
on 4/30/12 1:03 pm - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
Hey Guys

I have my 6th and final visit for my medically supervised diet with the surgeon on Wednesday.  Last month they went through all of my paperwork and thought everything looked good.  I also did had some blood test to check my thyroid levels. So things are moving at a pretty good.

So here's my question.

I have Horizon BCBS of NJ Blue PPO.  Does anyone have this insurance  and has been through this process.  I was wondering how long the approval process was for you.   I have heard that it could take upto 30 days.  Although most take less than 2 weeks. 

I went through this process about 3 years ago and was denied after 6 weeks of waiting.  I was told that at that time that everything had to be mailed which slowed the process. 

Thanks for any info

Bob

hannan
on 5/23/12 8:15 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
I have bcbs ppo, and it took just over a month for them to approve me. I have heard that BCBS has really short wait times, (my mother was approved in 3 days). Why were you denied 3 years ago, could that affect your current application? 

Cards44
on 5/23/12 8:30 am - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
HI

My paperwork was faxed 3 weeks ago today to Horizon by the surgeons office.  So it looks like its going to be close to the 30 days.

Three years ago was a bad setup.  The surgeon wasn't much help with the paperwork and I also did not have the required 6 month diet.  I was denied due to the diet. 

This time around I changed hospitals and also got a new PCP that has been great with the process.  I also did the 6 month diet through the surgeon. So hopefully everything is in line and no worries.
Cards44
on 6/6/12 12:12 pm - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
Well here we are at 30 days since the insurance admits they received my paperwork.  I did my weekly call on Monday and had one of the rudest CSR's I have had so far.

She informed me that there was no need to continue to call as they will send me a letter when a decision has been made.  She also told me that if any additional info they may need they would contact the surgeon.  I told her I was nervous and had been waiting about a month for a decision and that I was just checking. She let me know that it was 30 business days and not 30 calendar days.   WOW.... what customer service?

Anyway with tomorrow being 30 days since they received the paperwork I believe it should be escalated up to the next level.  I am starting to get worried that there is something wrong.  I played by their rules with the diet and got all of the info that they needed.   The surgeons office told me last month that I had a good case and not to worry about it.. If this is the case whats taking to long...]

Most Active