Dumping on Over Ripe Bananas...Really???

MommyosaRose
on 2/23/11 2:24 am

I love bananas. I don't eat them much because they cause me serious constipation, but once in a while I do treat myself to a whole one. I buy them often because my family likes them too but occasionally we have a few that get over ripe and rather than throw them out I sliced them up and freeze them to use in smoothies or other recipes.

Well, yesterday while I prepared supper, I was getting two bananas ready to freeze and ate a few slices…maybe 4 or 5. About 15-20 minutes later I felt lightheaded and my stomach started to cramp up. I began vomiting convulsively; it consisted of nothing but foam. I don't remember being so sick in my entire life...ever! I was so cold and nothing could warm me up. This lasted all night! Today, I don’t have much of an appetite and all I had to eat was Greek yogurt and a protein shake. 

Though it’s common knowledge that fruits tend to be sweeter as they ripen, I never considered the possibility that the sugar content on the fruit could actually elevate. Does anyone know if this actually happens?

Regardless, I know that I will not be eating over ripe bananas again; that was a feeling I could go a lifetime without!

Rose

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/7/11 5:15 am
I dump on bananas.  But what you describe was like a food poisoning.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

michelle O.
on 12/9/11 2:50 am - Tampa, FL

Rose,
 What you describe actually sounds like dumping. Everyone experiences different reactions while dumping. Mine symptoms do not even hit me until hours afterwards. Bananas have made me dump when they were too ripe. My rule is to not eat them if they have brown spots on them.

Michelle

Most Active