lymphoedema

Lesley M.
on 6/24/03 8:35 am - Selby, N. Yorks now Edinburgh Scotland, UK
I had successful w-l-s ( r-n-y), over in York,uk several years ago. Over the past year ,due to a cycling accident, I have had a real battle with mobility and weight loss. It has only been in the last 5 months that I have been able to start swimming again at a group for the disabled. This last week I have been diagnosed as having severe lymphoedema,and it is being QUERIED
Lesley M.
on 6/24/03 8:42 am - Selby, N. Yorks now Edinburgh Scotland, UK
THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF MY QUESTION !gUESS i PRESSED THE WRONG BUTTON! The question being asked is whether the lymphoedema is a result of the surgery, don't panic, it happens post many surgeries! Ihave had a lot of different surgeries and am wondering if anyoneelse has had this problem after wls.If anyone has ,I'd be really grateful for any advice, treatments ,dietry changes. Thanks for all your help and support. LOL Lesley over in Scotland uk
Julie B.
on 4/15/04 11:10 pm - Edinburgh, UK
Hi Lesley. I have just come across your information. I notice you live in Edinburgh - snap ;o) I had a midband in September in Lyon. I just wanted to say hi and to let you know that there is a UK based website for wls patients called www.wlsinfo.org.uk You may have found it already, but if you haven't it is definitely worth checking out. Best wishes Julie also in sunny Scotland!
yvonne R.
on 5/12/04 8:55 am - providence, UT
yes i have lymphedema both my legs swell with a lot of standing with work i use compressions at night my insurance pays for them i think i did damage to my circulation with weighing 500 pounds but no one has a def reason why exercise swimming is great elevating the extremity and several good supplements help with circulation i am managing quite well email me if you want more info yvonne
Ella Nchanted
on 2/23/05 3:58 am - LA
Hello ,I am located in usa,and have had seveer lymphedema in both legs since 96,its worst in the left leg though ,ive had many long hospital stays,and when this started i was a normal weight ,had no surgurys,no cancer or anything of that such,my condition is hereditary,my grandmother had it years ago,hers spontaneosly appeared lasted many years and sopontaneosly disapeared years later when she was oldere,she had major damage in the tissues though and also was diabetic this resulted in the amputation of both legs before her dealth in 2000. I am a licensed massage therapist and have had training in lymphedema therapys,manual lymph drainage and compression wrapping ,i have treated several patients in the past with this condition ,but my legs have been really bad latly and ive had to stop working ,im disabled now,im only 32 ,I have gone to one therapist that was good ,but it was many miles away ,and very expensive,my medsicaid sent me to a local therapist ,but he has no clue hpow to treat this properly ,and even though ive tried telling him how to do it he wouldnt listen ,so ive stoped the treatments, I USE A PUMP AND SLEAVE DAILEY,and when i go long road trips which i have to to see my lap band doctor,i wear a reed sleave on my left leg to keep from swelling worse.i have found tha****su therapy helps alot,type in watsu online and you should find some good info on it,also ive found that a hot tub whirlpool helps,it helps with pain and swelling .I realize its soposed to be a to be in ho****er,but from personal experiance ive found it heps so much. I have recently disacovered tht there are 2 gnes that has been localized in people with lymphedema that has it from hereditary means,the university of pittsburg has done alot of reserch on it as wel as the uiversity of arkansas. this condition can result from any surgury ,any acccident ,and from radiation and cemo,also babies can be born with it ,its kinda rare ,and not alot of research has been done like other diseases and conditions. one problem ive had is doctors trying to blame it on my weight ,they ignore the fact that when it started i was normal weight ,and also i went years before haveing it properly diagnosed,its vital to be diagnosed early on and in therapy with a good therapist that has training in LE. If you think u have it research,research,and make your doctor get you treatment ,if he refuses go to another doctor.go visist my profile,theres a link on it to a news story about me ,and my condition ,it has video footage SueElla
Most Active
Recent Topics
SURGERY ANNIVERY COMING UP.
danette56 · 0 replies · 407 views
Olive Kids
knightwolf · 0 replies · 656 views
Protein shakes?
pgrorud · 3 replies · 854 views
Free Recipes
Mariah · 0 replies · 536 views