I'm baaaaack! Daily Post 11/4

Vanishing Vixen
on 11/7/08 9:14 pm - NJ
I'm so sorry about my lack of punctuality.  School has been kicking my butt lately, and I haven't been able to get on here as often as I would like to.

With the holidays coming, why don't we swap our favorite Thanksgiving recipes, and add what we can do to make it more WLS friendly. 

I always make homemade cranberry sauce, and while I don't want to use splenda (it bothers me sometimes, and sugar doesn't), I do plan on reducing the amount of sugar I put in it.  I think it calls for 1 cup, and I'm going to try to make it with 3/4 cup instead. 

This is how I look at it.  It's one day.  This is my first post WLS Thanksgiving.  So, I'll eat light during the day, and have about a bite of everything during dinner.  After all, come Black Friday, I'll be so busy shopping, all of those calories will just burn off!  (If only it were THAT easy!)

Highest: 315 ~ Surgery: 296 ~ Current: 177.8 ~ Goal: 165

JustJean
on 11/8/08 11:20 pm - Ontario, CA
RNY on 08/25/06 with
I've never been much of a cook - so I always did the pies (Marie Callender's!!)...   wish I could help with recipes, but y'all wouldn't want them! 

My first post-WLS Thanksgiving was spent with a friend of my sister's - who had WLS a few years earlier.  I was about three months out, so was stll following rules concienciously...   so we go to this dinner, me thinking that it wouldn't  be too hard to eat just turkey (HA!).  Debbie is a Pampered Chef rep and an AMAZING cook - I don't know how she managed to avoid her own cooking as long as she did!  The dinner was unbelieveable...  and I tried a taste of everything....   I was sooooooooo sick!  

Since then, I've had a few other holiday dinners, and I've learned to eat the protein first, then taste a couple of other bites...  like every other day of my life.  I hate being sick, but especially on holidays!

Happy Holidays!

Sat on the loser's bench 8-25-06!! 
High 334/PreOp 275/Curr 168

Made it to goal, then gained again...  working back to goal of 155!! 

The Lord doesn't require us to succeed, He only requires that you try - Mother Teresa

debim3
on 11/9/08 11:32 am - Roberts, WI
Last Thanksgiving I was about 2 weeks post op, so I was on liquids.  I haven't really thought that far ahead yet....guess it's time to start thinking!
HW 265 / SW 226.5 / CW 130.5 / GW 135

jj_in_CA
on 11/9/08 12:35 pm - Gualala, CA
Pumpkin Mock Danish

2 oz cream cheese
1 egg
2 tsp splenda
½ tsp vanilla
2 dashes ground cinnamon
a dash ground ginger
a dash ground cloves
1 T Pumpkin

topping
1T butter
dash of cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
dash splenda

Microwave cream cheese 15 seconds in a small bowl.

Add egg and mix well with a fork.

Add splenda add vanilla and cinnamon and mix well.

Microwave on high for 2.5 minutes.

Topping, mix all together.  Set aside

Scrape sides. Take out danish and let cool.

Microwave topping 15 seconds.  Mix well again.  Pour on Mock Danish.

Amount Per 1 serving
Protein  12g
Calories 173
Total Fat  13g
Saturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 5g
Dietary Fiber .5

---jan---

lea2be
on 11/17/08 3:53 am - LaBelle, FL
I just posted links to some Thanksgiving/pumpkin sorts of desserts in a post the other day.  It is at
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/board_id,4856/cat_id, 4456/topic_id,3785619/a,messageboard/action,replies/#3025467 8

I'm also putting up a blog entry asking for everyone's favorite WLS-friendly holiday recipes.  I'm going to give away a box of protein/snack goodies and the winner will be drawn from those who submit a recipe...

I always do the whole dinner.  We don't have much family involvement as my family is all 950 miles away and hubby's family is all anti-social.  I do a dinner and we have just me, hubby, our girls, and the son-in-law.  My biggest holiday dinner though is for our 4-H club.  We had that one on 11/11.  Turkey, gravy and ALL the fixings...  I never know what to take!  This year, I took my Splenda pumpkin cake, a pasta salad, and a pan of macaroni and cheese (Barilla plus pasta) with chunks of ham in it.

At home on Thanksgiving, I do turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed taters, green beans, yeast rolls, and no-sugar-added pumpkin pie with light whipped topping.  Do I eat all that???  NO WAY!!  But, that is what I serve!  LOL  I eat a serving of turkey with gravy.  I eat a few bites of mashed potatoes, and I eat green beans.  Later--not right after dinner like many folks--I eat a small slice of the pumpkin pie...    Then, I start thinking of creative and protein-laden ways to use up the extra turkey.  I always make a BIG bird as we eat turkey in several different meals for a week or more!

Lovin' Life with Lea

Lea in WV   HW410/CW220/GW185   Proximal RNY 8/29/06
ObesityHelp Mini-Challenge Support Group Leader
CLICK HERE for discount codes for savings on various WLS-friendly products!

Most Active
Recent Topics
SURGERY ANNIVERY COMING UP.
danette56 · 0 replies · 406 views
Olive Kids
knightwolf · 0 replies · 656 views
Protein shakes?
pgrorud · 3 replies · 850 views
Free Recipes
Mariah · 0 replies · 535 views