Factor V Leiden and Surgery - How'd it go?

Sherry P.
on 11/2/08 2:57 am - St. Leon, IN
Just curious to know if anyone has gone through gastric bypass surgery with Factor V Leiden (a genetic blood disorder)?  If so, how'd it go?  I'm pre-op, almost done with all pre-op testing and soon to schedule a surgery date.  I know the disorder will cause problems with surgery, so just wondering if others have gone through it.
Thanks, Sherry
LoriAS
on 12/14/08 2:56 am - CA
 Did you have surgery yet?
I have FVL but found out a few years after my surgery.
Sherry P.
on 1/2/09 12:42 pm - St. Leon, IN

I'm scheduled for 1/22/09.  I was diagnosed about 5 yrs ago and initially had many problems.

colleenC
on 2/16/09 11:35 am

HI Sherry.
I had lap band surgery done in 1993. AT the time they didn't know what Factor 5 was. I had no problem with the surgery itself. 2 weeks after my surgery, (and after the time in which they said patients would get a clot) I wa**** with a doozie of a double blood clot in my left leg. I had a hard time pulling out of the recovery. I was in the hospital for almost another 2 weeks. The pain was so intense that I can claim that I have gone through something worse then labor and delivery!!! I was willing for them to amputate my leg.
I suspect that I have what is now known as "heparin reisitance" because they couldn't get my blood to thin down enough to get me out of the danger range, yet I was so cold all the time, I felt 1/2 dead. Once I was cleared and a year or 2 down the road, I have been on a regimine of Vitamin E and baby aspirin ever since. The problem I have is that  vitamin K in big doses (like vitamins) will help to clot your blood, yet you MUST take vitamins for the rest of your life. 
Jus****ch for the signs and get to the doctors if you feel "off". Mine was a bad cramp in my hip and a tight calf I couldn't get rid of. Finally I couldn't even lift my leg to walk and was gasping from the pain to even try. Took 45 minutes to get out of the house to the car. The best thing is that now that you know, the doctors can be aware and watch extra for you!  Best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
SURGERY ANNIVERY COMING UP.
danette56 · 0 replies · 406 views
Olive Kids
knightwolf · 0 replies · 656 views
Protein shakes?
pgrorud · 3 replies · 850 views
Free Recipes
Mariah · 0 replies · 536 views